How do i hook up a air/fuel ratio gauge in a 1994 superpoop

FrankenBird

Just wondering how to install a phantom 5775 air/fuel ratio gauge in a 1994 thunderbird sc automatic..
1st.i understand it needs a narrow-band O2 sensors (0-1V ) andWill not work with wide-band O2 sensors (0-5V) so 1st queston is which is ours?
2nd. it has a purple wire, black wire and red. red is 12v supply and black i ground and then the purple wire i run to?? which color wire do i splice it into on my o2 sensors if i have the correct ones to be able to.

I'd advise against installing that light show. If you want to keep tabs on your AFR, you'll want to install a WBO2 setup.

its all i have for now so i want to make due..i i REALLY dont wanna drill and weld a bung into stock exhaust...i wanna wait untill i get my aftermarket and have the wideband rite in the X pipe..

A gauge reading off a narrow-band O2 sensor really isn't telling you anything. The narrow-band can only read either rich or lean, and can not tell how rich or how lean. You are better off doing nothing than installing that gauge.

You can wire a toggle switch and then tap into each stock O2 sensor harness - this way you can switch back/forth between banks. It's better than nothing and will let you see when both banks are working the same or...if one of the O2 sensors goes south for any reason, you'll at least be tipped off, sort or like a very basic troubleshooting tool. Just remember, like noted above, it's mainly a light show :)

You can wire a toggle switch and then tap into each stock O2 sensor harness - this way you can switch back/forth between banks. It's better than nothing and will let you see when both banks are working the same or...if one of the O2 sensors goes south for any reason, you'll at least be tipped off, sort or like a very basic troubleshooting tool. Just remember, like noted above, it's mainly a light show :)

thats pretty much what i was thinking too...but what color wire fromt the front 02's..? that toggle from one 02 to the other is a great idea and i will use...i know this isnt as accurate as id like but its accurate enough to tell me if im lean at w.o.t on e85 or after i install exhaust and intake and stuff. just gives me a base to run off of. if i come accross a wideband for a prce i can afford then ille pick that up. untill then this is what i got for now...building on a budget.
We all like light shows. that why we decorate for christmas...

I also echo the recommendation about skipping the disco show and sent you a PM if you wanna buy an old NBO2 gauge a teammate gave me for our track car.

As an alternative to splicing into the wiring of your NBO2 sensors underneath the car, I wanted to suggest that you consider splicing into them at the ECU harness instead. After all, it's already inside the car.

BTW, from my notes when I was sampling NB data for a 95 tbird's 3.8L N/A engine, here are the notes on what wires you want to tap into. I have since switched to a 5.0L from a 93 and the NBO2 pins are the same.
I would also believe that these pins would be the same for a 3.8L SC as well (can check my 93 and 95 EVTMs when I get home if you want)

Heated O2 Sensor #1:
Pin #44 Circuit 74 (Gray / Light Blue) @ ECU Plug
0-1V analog voltage
Note: this is of limited value b/c NB O2 sensors will really only give two values = around .5V when running in closed loop and around .9V at WOT
Once warm:
<.45V lean
>.45v rich (should be .9 at WOT)

Heated O2 Sensor #2:
Pin #43 Circuit 94 (Red / Black) @ ECU Plug

...but its accurate enough to tell me if im lean at w.o.t on e85 or after i install exhaust and intake and stuff....

Nope. As mentioned above, a narrowband gauge is only going to tell you whether the AFR is richer or leaner than stoich. It will not tell you by how much. As you're not looking for stoich at WOT, it will be absolutely useless.

i had no brown wire from my o2 wire lead. i tapped into the harness under the hood with a paperclip and a wire attached to it, i tapped all 4 wires till i got the rite one, it was red..the 4 wires from the harness are diff colors that the ones coming out of the o2 sensor. my 02 sensor wires were 2 white,1 black and 1 grey..
its up and working now lol but who kn ow how accurate it is, it kinda sways back n forth and says im rich at wot..????? so maby its working. shur looks cool though it the pod next to my aftermarket boost gauge..if ur wondering where my stock boost gauge was i put in a stock volt meter, i got a system and stuff so i like to keep an eye on that.

Yes, swing into rich on WOT sounds right. Otherwise, like we said, it's a light show and should be fairly active while driving around at that.

my daughter is gonna love it, lol she tells every one its "her thunderbird with a supercharger and when it goes fast it whines" lol she almost 6

Back