Motorcraft XL3 friction modifier vs Ford Racing friction modifier?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Howdy all,

I was looking for the motorcraft friction modifier to use for a m5r2 fluid flush and ran across a Ford Racing bottle of friction modifier. Any one have input on the Ford Racing version? Links to both are below.

Pretty sure this is the correct one but can anyone confirm XL3 is the correct PN for the motorcraft friction modifier for a 5speed m5r2 fluid flush?

Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310303114133?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331590094405?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

both are the same product, the motorcraft one is the old label. i wouldnt use these in any trans as they are designed for clutch-type differentials only, not transmissions. M5R2 transmissions only use ATF

Last edited:
both are the same product, the motorcraft one is the old label. i wouldnt use these in any trans as they are designed for clutch-type differentials only, not transmissions. M5R2 transmissions only use ATF

Thanks for the input.

Pretty sure all posts I've read about the M5R2 fluid flush mention the need for a bottle of friction modifier. ??

It's Ok to put friction modifier in ATF. I believe that the high mileage versions of ATF already have some in it. It smells like it anyway.

There are two examples of 'friction modifier' - one that modifies friction to increase slip and one that modifies friction to reduce slip. Which do you think you need? (trik question...)

There are two examples of 'friction modifier' - one that modifies friction to increase slip and one that modifies friction to reduce slip. Which do you think you need? (trik question...)

Ha! if I were to guess...i would say we need more friction to make sure the fiber blockers bite better no?

You people are thinking wrong. Follow the instructions in the Ford Shop manual and put in the Ford Friction Modifier and use the factory recommended fluid. Yes, some of the fluids now days have some friction modifier added, but you don't know how much so it's better to follow Ford's recipe.

Back