PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump question

GHOSTXR7
09-01-2015, 10:13 PM
When I did my exhaust I put in a 255lph pump in. Now 3 or so months later I'm bogging when I go full throttle. However i did check fuel pressure and its reading below 30psi. Now my question is could the fuel pump be too much for the stock injectors or is it safe to assume the fuel pump is bad. I will swapping back in the stock fuel pump. Any suggestions on the fuel pump I should get once I so my late model swap with 42lb injectors. Thanks for all suggestions

sam jones
09-01-2015, 11:44 PM
Good evening

Before condemning the fuel pump inspect the fuel filter for blockage and or contaminates. Troubleshoot the fuel pressure regulator (use search). Inspect the fuel pump harness connector at the fuel pump "hanger".

Good luck

KMT
09-02-2015, 01:17 AM
Pull the vacuum line at the regulator and check for raw fuel.

What is your mpg?

90tbird4.7l
09-02-2015, 06:04 AM
did your replace the fuel filter when you changed the pump? (located on the pass side under car, almost directly under the seat)

GHOSTXR7
09-02-2015, 10:38 AM
Filter is 6 months old maybe but I will check that. I'm lost as to y when I drive part throttle it seems to drive jus ok but when I go full throttle I can feel it not going anywhere. I will do all those test to be on the safe side. And now to top it if I smell gas when I fill up so I gotta drop the tank anyways

GHOSTXR7
09-04-2015, 01:35 PM
UPDATE

So i dropped the tank to find that the metal line in the sending unit had broken the weld and that was the cause of me leaking fuel. The connector to the fuel pump however was in horrible shape so i had to also replace that. And due to the metal pipe in the sending unit be broken from the housing it was causing the hose on the pump to move up and down so i would lose pressure that way. Car runs much better but then on my way to work this AM getting off the turnpike pulling up to the light it shut off. Now after 7 minutes of trying to get it to crank out of nowhere it cranks right up and drove fine. That made my day just miserable. Now while replacing the pigtail my silly a$$ rewired everything fine but didnt wire the gauge wiring the way it should so my gauge dont work. could that be an issue that it is not seeing that there is gas in the tank even though it drove home properly and then after it cranked up after shutting off it has run properly

potshotscott
09-04-2015, 02:20 PM
Sounds like some kind of vacuum/pressure problem that might have been caused when you put everything back together. I'm no expert so please don't take that to the bank - I'm just opining.