about rebuilding motors

AnvSCMAN

what does it take to rebuild a motor if anybody out there ha sone so what is all the materials as far as the motor goes required to rebuild one of thes 3.8l beasts i am gonna take on the project myself and need to know what should be replace reused ect...

thank you
AnvSCMAN a.k.a RICHARD ALDRIDGE

rebuilds

patience ,time, money,more money, alittle more money, and most importantly money. They are a really expensive car to do right. Tim :confused:

Well first of all, you want to take your block to a good machine shop to have it checked out, cleaned, magnafluxed, and new soft plugs put in. It might need bored out...mine did....20 over. Also the crank might need turned. You will need an engine kit....the shop that I had my machine work done at, also got me the kit. This included a complete Fel-Pro gasket kit. New timing chain/sprockets, cam, bearings, lifters, etc, etc. The engine kit was like $700 something and the machine work was a bit more. Also get the heads checked out....that was $180 more. Other people on here can probably tell you more than I can, but these are costly engines to rebuild....while you're at it, you might as well rebuild the tranny too. Be patient and get a manual for torque specs, etc. And also have a nice bank account.

I'd love to see the costs too...

When my HGs go, i'll get it reubilt....

I'd like to do as much as i can myself.

I have no idea of mileage, the intrument cluster had been replaced when I got it.

I was only kidding, sort of . the problem? I ran into was I went nuts. I blew a stock motor so I went all out on the rebuild. Still and all these are not cheap cars to rebuild. the right way that is. Tim

Back