Over the years

jdsgallops

Over the 20 some odd years I have been wrenching on my own junk I have purchased many tools. There is not a lot I don't have short of the professional specialty stuff. I just have to say though by far the best purchase I ever made was a transmission jack. It may just be a cheapy scissor type from Harbor Freight but it has made several jobs much easier. If you don't have one I highly suggest getting one. Your loved one will thank you for all the time, headaches, and busted knuckles it will save you!

I bought this trans. adapter for my floor jack many years ago and it works great, I've installed many transmissions by myself. The only drawback is that you have to have your car sitting higher on jack stands than you normally would but that's not a problem as long as you have a nice set of 4 tall jack stands. The reason I have the 2x4's in there is because I have the deep '97 4r70w pan on my '94 and the trans wouldn't sit level. I also don't have the safety chain on it in the pics.

Attachments

• trans adapter for floorjack 002.JPG
    trans adapter for floorjack 002.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 147
  • trans adapter for floorjack 001.JPG
    trans adapter for floorjack 001.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 140
I bought a trans/motorcycle jack from autozone many moons ago and it worked great, i used to use it to lift my black 90 since it was lowered and none of my other jacks would fit beneath it, i'd get it up and toss the other jack under it to get it the rest of the way

well after doing that a few times it blew the seal so that was the end of it, now i just lift the car up at the fender and kick a jack under it

the m5r2 and 4r70w are pretty light transmissions, I just rest it on my chest and bench press it right into place while balancing it on one hand and tossing a couple bell housing bolts in with the other, I've been doing it that way since I was 17 when I couldn't afford a trans jack lol

I used this Harbor Freight motorcyle lift to remove the K-member/front suspension/engine/transmission as a unit from my Camaro. Works great.

image_23588.jpg

I also used a ATV/Motorcycle jack to install/remove trans--hey they are cheaper than a trans jack.

Back