Going rate for 400+hp sc motor?

flynbrd

I have the motor out of my sc and I'm toying with the idea of getting rid of it. Putting my spare motor in and letting my daughter have the car. The deciding factor is how much I can get for the motor.

What I'm considering letting how

1. Coy miller stage 2 bottom end with zero deck block.
2. Has custom ground stage 2 cam built around the mods. Max horsepower while being smog legal. Always passes the sniffer.
3. Pro M 77 (the old kickass one. Yes it's california carb legal) 85mm throttle body.
4. Embree/blue tongue supercharger inlet, case, blower top with Teflon coated rotors.
5. Rc 46# injectors
6. Modified upper and lower tubes. Ported with air fins installed.
7. Intercooler not for sale at this time
9. Ported and gasket matched intake.
10. Ported and polished heads with bigger valves . (Running Beehive springs) The motor really hauls at top end.
11. Center force clutch
12. 89-93 5 speed with complete clutch assembly inside bellhousing.
13. course the balancer is upgraded.
14. 1.73 roller rockers with 3/8 stud mount .
15. Possible include the quarter horse tuner.
16 aftermarket coil pack.
17. Best gaskets on rebuild with mls headgaskets and arp head studs.
18. Moroso windage/stud girdle with arp main studs.

Motor makes easy 400hp tuned. Question is what's it worth and how hard will it be to sale.? Motor has less than 8k miles on it.

wonder what the rest of us did wrong????????????

I have the motor out of my sc and I'm toying with the idea of getting rid of it. Putting my spare motor in and letting my daughter have the car. The deciding factor is how much I can get for the motor.

What I'm considering letting how

1. Coy miller stage 2 bottom end with zero deck block.
2. Has custom ground stage 2 cam built around the mods. Max horsepower while being smog legal. Always passes the sniffer.
3. Pro M 77 (the old kickass one. Yes it's california carb legal) 85mm throttle body.
4. Embree/blue tongue supercharger inlet, case, blower top with Teflon coated rotors.
5. Rc 46# injectors
6. Modified upper and lower tubes. Ported with air fins installed.
7. Intercooler not for sale at this time
9. Ported and gasket matched intake.
10. Ported and polished heads with bigger valves . (Running Beehive springs) The motor really hauls at top end.
11. Center force clutch
12. 89-93 5 speed with complete clutch assembly inside bellhousing.
13. course the balancer is upgraded.
14. 1.73 roller rockers with 3/8 stud mount .
15. Possible include the quarter horse tuner.
16 aftermarket coil pack.
17. Best gaskets on rebuild with mls headgaskets and arp head studs.
18. Moroso windage/stud girdle with arp main studs.

Motor makes easy 400hp tuned. Question is what's it worth and how hard will it be to sale.? Motor has less than 8k miles on it.
If this makes 400 horsepower what did everyone else do wrong?? Even the best engine builder can't get that much out of a 3.8 maybe a 4.2 but even that is a reach... unless you are talking flywheel power??? Good luck with this sale......that's all I can say.......Rich what do I know anyways....????????????????????????????????

still a reach

crank hp? he didnt say RWHP

that would still be a reach with that set up.. I already said that... Think about it the drive train will chew up a good 100 hp. with his 5 speed setup. there is not enough fuel going into that engine to pull three hundred ponies so the math does not work... plain and simple, not going to happen......Rich

crank hp? he didnt say RWHP

He said 400 HP tuned, really don't know anyone one dynoing just the engine and if that's the case there would be a dyno sheet. The injectors are just to small to fuel that number in my opinion. Just need for him to clairify his statement since we are speculating about what he has. A dyno sheet is what I would want to see if I was interesting in buying the engine.

Ken

He said 400 HP tuned, really don't know anyone one dynoing just the engine and if that's the case there would be a dyno sheet. The injectors are just to small to fuel that number in my opinion. Just need for him to clairify his statement since we are speculating about what he has. A dyno sheet is what I would want to see if I was interesting in buying the engine.

Ken
Also didn't say Gross or Net :D, could be rated like a engine prior to 72.

I know a guy who made 511rwhp and run 129.7mph in the 1/4 on #39's. Twin turbo 4.3 v6 mustang with returnless fuel system (40-50psi static fuel pressure ). Not saying it should be done but that it can be done.

Also for that combo I'd say you could get around $2000-$2500. I'd probably start at $2500 and see where the interest is.

Last edited:

Ken

Coy miller always dynoed his engines..On an engine dyno .

And those rc t46lb injectors should be fine for 400 crank hp. I just ran some numbers and they pan out.

I don't care either way. Just don't understand why people jump on someone without asking for more info as opposed to calling him fos.

Coy miller always dynoed his engines..On an engine dyno .

And those rc t46lb injectors should be fine for 400 crank hp. I just ran some numbers and they pan out.

I don't care either way. Just don't understand why people jump on someone without asking for more info as opposed to calling him fos.

Yes coy did run his engines on a dyno. Haven't heard of anyone else doing the same. I just said if you make a hp claim there should be a dyno sheet to back it up. If I put my engine up for sale I have about 30 pulls proving my claim. Years ago we had someone claiming to have the fastest SC but never produced proof. Don't think it is out of bounds to request a dyno sheet for the tuned engine he has for sale. A 400 hp engine ain't cheap

Ken

I tried to get there Ken, I made 374 at last years dyno competition in a 95 Auto with a 9 year old MPIII! LOL

And that awesome! I beleive the best number I know of was 390 with a MPX & tuned by Dalke, having said that Im sure there are other people outside are little group doing amazing things with M90 based combinations. I bought my engine from a guy in the northeast, he had a solid lifter cam in it and was building a really nasty motor. I had it checked by my engine builder and found bearing clearances to tight and a few other problems. It had really good parts and with a little rebuilding I had myself the motor I run now. What Im trying to say to other posters in this thread is if I want to buy a motor I want to know Im getting what the seller is claiming he has. I think that is reasonable without being a jerk.

Ken

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Phillip Dalke made 400rwhp with an MPX-S and a 6 speed.

-Tim

Yep I beleive your right, forgot about that. The original intent of the thread was what is a 400 hp motor worth. I would say 3500 at a mininum and could go a lot higher with custom parts. Have seen just heads go for 1200 so a build motor aint cheap

Ken

The injectors will have a certain limit or duty cycle for safe power, and even 400 crank horsepower seems like it would be a stretch in this case, but bear in mind that i'm currently running stock 30 lb injectors with a heavily ported late model blower with a 10 percent OD pulley and have not fried a headgasket (yet).

The injectors will have a certain limit or duty cycle for safe power, and even 400 crank horsepower seems like it would be a stretch in this case, but bear in mind that i'm currently running stock 30 lb injectors with a heavily ported late model blower with a 10 percent OD pulley and have not fried a headgasket (yet).
running too lean can melt your pistons without blowing a headgasket

Back