1968 Mustang Restomod Thread

potshotscott

Drove a '68 Mustang in High School back in 1990-1991. This car has been sitting for almost 20 years. Pretty rough shape but a lot easier to tear down than an SC (IMO).IMG_0023.jpg

Pulled the engine and transmission as well as gutting the interior. Mice had made a home to the extent that the 289 in the car is trash (the block might be okay but the rest is a mess)!

That's cool what motor and drive line you going to use? I have been tossing the idea around about doing a late 60's f100 with a late model supercharged crate 5.0, 04 crown Vic front end and maybe a Super coupe IRS rear and make it my daily driver.

Was considering '94 LX Bird inards but have since moved onto thinking about 2000-2001 Ford Explorer 5.0 with trans. Might rob the rear end too...

Looks like a cool project. The car is very complete, and by the looks of it, not very rusty on the quarter panels and such. Even as a kid, I felt a certain sort of sympathy for broken down and unwanted cars....even when they're sitting, they're still alive and surviving in a way. Even when trees grow through the engine bay and mice find a home inside, the cars still serve some sort of function.

It's got character for sure. The great thing is it's got very little rust on it. I ran the warranty tag last night and it was sold out of the Seattle market in 1968. I don't think it's ever seen salt. Just got the rest of the rear stripped off today. Going to tear down the dash area Monday. Having fun with my Dad for sure.

Made some interesting discoveries today. This is a FrankenStang. The front end is 1968. The back is 1967. It's been welded at the C pillar and the bottom near the rear door sill. Since it rolls straight and doesn't eat tires I'm going to keep with it. Thinking about filling the front parking lamps to make it look more 1967ish.

Bet it got rear ended and they used a 1967 rear clip to fix it.

Front fenders, save for the lights, are interchangeable.

(Used to own a 1967 years ago.)

RwP

My mustang had the same back job done on it. It was a 67/68 combo also. When I restored it I ended up adding a 68 roof skin to the mix of Mustangs lol. Good luck on the resto.

Back