Some strange symptoms from ticking to intermittent rough idle to stall with no start

Thinkreferrals

Over the last couple months my 1990 SC would once every couple or three weeks run really rough after starting when fully warm and parked for a very short time and would then clear up after shutting off, leaving for a few minutes and starting again. Then about 5 days ago there was a ticking sound, kind of like lifters but would be louder sometimes and quieter sometimes. Yesterday I started the car and I was driving out of a parking lot and it started to run really rough with screeching type noises like something rubbing or scraping then it died and would only fire up but not stay running. I left it parked for several hours and tried starting and the screeching noise was there and it would not stay running so I had it towed home. This evening the car started with only the ticking getting louder and quieter but it idled smoothly, I did not attempt to drive because obviously there is a serious issue and I don't want to do more damage.

I have had a Harmonic Balancer bolt shear off so I checked that and also checked for wobble, there was none. Things I have done in the years I have had the car include the balancer along with timing gears and all related items including water pump, I have had blown Head Gaskets which I replaced with Multi layer gaskets, lifters, pushrods, seals and motor mounts were all replaced at that time. Donor AOD is in it till I have time to install the 5 speed I bought from jludorf. Other than that the car has been awesome for a lot of years.

I am thinking something like cam or crank sensor but reading the posts about those don't seem to be the same symptoms. Stumped.

Pull codes and belts.

With belts at least relaxed, check tensioners, idlers, jackshaft bearings, water pump, AC clutch, alternator, power steering and supercharger to see if they spin accordingly, with no noise, etc.

Back