double intercooler

pock1

hi guys need help on clearing space for my intercooler fan. this was a pain in the but. this was by trail and error , I took out the shroud behind the intercooler to gain space (do I need to put it back?) there was clearance, but when I stated to tighten all the tubes I looked at the power steering and found that the fan a right on the pulley:( u experts can chime in on this. where and if I need spacers?

Which fan is that? 7" or 8"? Looks like 7"...

You might have to delete the plate and mount the fan directly to the core...that and find a thinner fan. You could put it on the front as a pusher, I guess.

Otherwise, I'd run it and let it self-clearance ;)

Last edited:
fans

Which fan is that? 7" or 8"? Looks like 7"...

You might have to delete the plate and mount the fan directly to the core...that and find a thinner fan. You could put it on the front as a pusher, I guess.

Otherwise, I'd run it and let it self-clearance ;)

I just looked at the fan box, it's a 8 inch fan ...grrrrrrr..I'll have to try and mount it from the front.luckly I saved the box and mounting hardware.anybody have any pics of there's so I can use that as a refrence.also I nned a pic of the wirng harness to hook the intercooler fan to the t-stat switch. hey mikey u still need that part?

I just looked at the fan box, it's a 8 inch fan ...grrrrrrr..I'll have to try and mount it from the front.

I can understand trying to find the simplest solution, but if I remember correctly, pusher fans aren't as efficient as puller fans, so that may not be the best solution.

My double IC is also very close to my power steering pulley, but I have custom tubes and silicone couplers, so I literally have a little more flexibility in mounting locations.

I have the same issue on mine. What I have done so far is gently push in the shroud a bit and use short bolts so they don't hit the fins. It Appears it still rubs a slight bit from time to time. The next thing I am going to try is to remove the threaded inserts(That should gain a slight amount of room.) and then use the plastic ties that came with the fan to attach it instead of the bolts. I think the ties may be able to draw the shroud down just enough to have some clearance.

Went through the same thing recently. Take the fan out of there. Separate the motor from the fan guard, just a couple screws. Mount the motor on the inside of the fan guard. There's some small detail I'm forgetting so the fan blades don't contact the intercooler but it fixes the problem. I don't know if it effects the efficiency of the fan but I doubt it. It gave me about 3/4" clearance where before it was contacting the power steering pulley.

I assume this is a DIC with shroud? Mine is a ken Wagner with shroud and the 2400 cubic foot per minute permacool. It's tight for sure. I took out the bellows in front of the intercooler and cut some foam to sandwich in around the perimeter.

fans

Went through the same thing recently. Take the fan out of there. Separate the motor from the fan guard, just a couple screws. Mount the motor on the inside of the fan guard. There's some small detail I'm forgetting so the fan blades don't contact the intercooler but it fixes the problem. I don't know if it effects the efficiency of the fan but I doubt it. It gave me about 3/4" clearance where before it was contacting the power steering pulley.

I assume this is a DIC with shroud? Mine is a ken Wagner with shroud and the 2400 cubic foot per minute permacool. It's tight for sure. I took out the bellows in front of the intercooler and cut some foam to sandwich in around the perimeter.

ok i'll tryto get the fan out( have to dis-assemble the the top tube).this is also a kenwagners but with out the shroud. so ...........#1 I can leave the fan off and have room, #2 sell my 8inch fan and a 7inch fan..........#3.do as u say and take aprt my 8 inch fan to make it shorter. does anybody have any pics of their dic with stock ic tubes..and a wiring diagram to power up the fan? I know blk is ground, red is power and I know if I wanted to the ic fan to turn on with the big fan i'll have to tap into the fuse box and temp control senser any help would be great.thx tony.

I recommend using a relay to wire in the fan.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachme...achmentid=6081

I have also looked for a 7 in fan. I haven't found one that is thinner than the 8 in that still offers the same cfm rating.

That schematic is what I wired mine up to, as well! It's a good diagram.

Could you possibly re-size and rotate your pictures? By the looks of it, the fan's shroud looks like it's super thick, but that could just be the size of the pic. The thickness of the fan may be the problem. With my DIC, I had removed the stock intercooler shroud and had plenty of room for my 8" puller fan, but I don't know if varying brands of the fans have varying thicknesses or not.

Last edited:
I have also looked for a 7 in fan. I haven't found one that is thinner than the 8 in that still offers the same cfm rating.

That would be a neat trick :)

I've pondered moving to an 8", but so far my (also relayed) 1100 CFM 7" at USD$25 is the best bang for the buck and does the job for me.

7 inch fan

That would be a neat trick :)

I've pondered moving to an 8", but so far my (also relayed) 1100 CFM 7" at USD$25 is the best bang for the buck and does the job for me.

where did u get ur 7 inch fan? who makes them?

where did u get ur 7 inch fan? who makes them?

As noted, silicone intakes - $25 (which includes the push-thru mounting system) is before any shipping as I recall, but the item isn't heavy, so. No idea who makes it, exactly, but the materials and assembly seem to match popular brands & the one in your photo. Another reason I held off on an 8" unit was perhaps a louder fan, which didn't appeal to me for street use.

I've seen 8" (2400 CFM) fans selling for $65 and up, so you could squeeze mount (?) a pair of 7" for $50, diagonally perhaps or (one push and one pull), and have 2200 CFM, as an example.

Last edited:
Back