DINGING driving me MAD!! seat belt??? how do I disable

sizemoremk

DINGING driving me MAD!! seat belt experts please???

My SC is dinging...driver auto seatbekt don't work....

DINGING is gonna make me DRIVE INTO THE RIVER!!!!!

AHHHHHHHH:mad:

Please make the bad man stop!!!!!

How do I make it stop, for the love of GOD how??????

Last edited:
Recently fixed

I just fixed a shi*load of things on my cougar. one of them being the autobelt, this may help you.

There are two options, 1, you can unplug the dinger box. It is located behind the glovebox.

Or you can fix the autobelt. It isn't hard to fix either. But to just make the dinging go away, pull off the side panel, about 7 screws including the speaker, and the one on the pillar panel, and the floor trim panel. remove the seatbelt cover from decklid. pull lower portion of back seat out. next, figure out what is stopping the belt from moving, more than likely, it's either a blown motor, or a busted strip. If it's the motor, simply remove, and pull the strip either up or down till the belt end locks in place, and the dinging goes away, or if it is the strip, grab one from the local bone yard, or dealership, and put it in. This is not as hard as it sounds. i had mine fixed in about a half hour. If you don't want to try on your own car, go to the junkyard and try it on one of theirs first.

That's pretty much what I was goin to say but I have one thing to add. If they don't work, you can unplug the control module for them (it's in the trunk driver's side next to the fuel pump cutoff)

mn12sc35th said:
That's pretty much what I was goin to say but I have one thing to add. If they don't work, you can unplug the control module for them (it's in the trunk driver's side next to the fuel pump cutoff)

That would've beenhelpful LAST NIGHT !!!! LOL

I pulled it out, and the "strip" was all outside its "guide tube."

The part where the "guide tube" connects to the motor was cracked, and when I put it back togethr and threw some grease on it it would go back to the forward position....

There was a small kink in the "strap" but I could not get it to go forward at all unless I pushed on the belt latch iself (rather firmly)
while spinning the motor knob.... It still spins in both directions, and everything, but I think there's another problem besides the belt comming of the track....It would retract the belt back just fine when spinning the knob the other way...

I did rethread the "strap" twice, and greased and wd-40'd it and cycled it back and forth manually (by pushing again on the latch itself)....

I could not get rid of the ding in any case....until I unplugged the rearward (top) plug from what I ASSume is some sort of interlock...

Anyu suggestions fellas???

Bad Ground?

I have the same problem with my SC, but someone told me that I may have a bad ground.

Sometimes when I drive it dings, sometimes it goes away. Sometimes it dings the whole time I drive it, sometimes it won't ding at all.

I have been told that there is a ground in the door for the headlight switch and the seatbelt sensor. I guess they share the same ground, but I could be wrong. If I pull my headlight knob, the car will ding like I left the driver door open with the lights on. This makes me believe what I am hearing. The dinging is so random that it starts to make sense. My mechanic friend says that a bad ground can cause all kinds of havoc on an electrical system.

If you looked at your seatbelt motor and track and everything else looks right, maybe it's a ground. I am getting so sick of the dinging in my car that I am embarrased to have anyone in it because it may ding while they are in the car. It also seems louder because it is getting colder out.

Let us know how it goes. I am very curious because your symptoms are the same as what I have been putting up with. And I don't want to pump any money into fixing motorized crap belts because they thought it was a good idea.

I may opt for the ding disconnect that was mentioned.

Mako

HMMMMMMM

You may be onto something, but I already had the seatbelt problem, just don't remember it dinging...

I just put it back on the road 2 days ago...
I was going to replace the battery cables just for GP, but I couldn't get to the motor mount (where it is attached) just yet, so I used a bolt on the shock tower with some BIG washers until I can get to it....may have been the dinging problem, but it did stop when I unplugged the connector on the track (seatbelt retracted position)

This could be in the ciruit I guess, but I have no idea how to tell...

Back