Correct M5R2 fluid capacity? Owners manual says different amount than shop manual.

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
I was looking through the owner's manual for my 94 for some fuse info when I stumbled upon the fluid capacities in one of the pages. In the manual it says that the manual trans requires 6.3 quarts? I just did a flush in the teal car and had referenced the back of the shop manual which states the capacity as 6.3 pints/3.0L which comes out to a little over 3 quarts.

3+ quarts is roughly what came out but just want to make sure ...don't want to drive the car around with low fluid.

THanks!

The factory spec sheet I have for a '90 SC says manual trans capacity is 3.0 L, which is 3.17 qts./6.34 pts.

I used 3.1 or so quarts. My 89 service manual said 6.2 pints. Fill it up until it starts to come out of the fill port.

Thanks for the confirmation gents...looks like a SNAFU in the owners manual. It's probably supposed to be pints vs qts.

Liters, quarts, pints ...

I have a Manufacturers Motor Vehicle Specifications manual for the '90 T-Bird. The manual is printed by the Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association.

It says the manual transmission holds 3.0 liters (same as 3.17006 quarts) or 6.3 pints (same as 3.15 quarts) of Dexron II.

About five years ago after a clutch replacement, I filled mine with Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30.

Eddie Donato
'90 Automatic SC stock (except for double intercooler)
'90 5-speed SC - modified

Back