Smoke coming out of vents

jman2000

Alright, so one day I was driving my '94 SC. All of a sudden, the blower comes on like high (when the switch is off) and smoke starts coming out of the vents like something burnt up/blew. A resistor maybe for the blower motor? Anyone else have this problem? The smoke stopped then, and I don't think it does it anymore. I haven't driven the car in a long time so to be honest I'm not sure if the problem is still happening.

If you have the electronic automatic temperature control (EATC, or ECC - Electronic Climate Control) then it's got a blower motor controller where less capable vehicles have a resistor. If so, then most likely a failure there.

If, however, you don't have "Auto" as a fan speed, then yes, the blower motor resistor is what I'd be checking.

RwP

If you have the electronic automatic temperature control (EATC, or ECC - Electronic Climate Control) then it's got a blower motor controller where less capable vehicles have a resistor. If so, then most likely a failure there.

If, however, you don't have "Auto" as a fan speed, then yes, the blower motor resistor is what I'd be checking.

RwP

I do have auto as an option for the fan speed. I can put in a temperature where I want it to blow at. Is it the (as listed on thunderbird sc shop) PWM blower motor resistor?

hmm

That's not its official name, but I bet that's it.

Edit: Worst case, Standard makes a replacement, bottom one (the $187sum'pin one) at http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1198672&parttype=6557 .

RwP

I think that may be the wrong one for my car. This looks more like it... http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2061732&cc=1140545&jnid=653&jpid=3

So in other words, this one from the Thunderbird SC shop looks like the exact same thing. Anyone else able to chime in?

910140701.JPG

910140702.JPG

It could be the heater core, perhaps. Though it's not an SC, when I had my '84 Cutlass, I got the surprise of a lifetime when I turned the heater on and smoke billowed out the vents. It was the heater core. I'm not sure of the design of the SC heater core, but if it's enclosed, coolant will leak into it, and you won't find out that you have a problem until you flip on the heater in the colder months. The mechanics had to drill into the bottom of the heater core area to drain the coolant out. Though if you're saying that it smells like something burnt (plastic, etc), you'd know that smell.

Back