Recommendations on shift kits/ AOD upgrades

1FSTBRD

Now that the cooler fall weather is back, the car feels like it's gained way more power. The stock AOD feels like it may be slipping a tad at WOT (slightly hanging shift), but I think that it's probably just trying to keep the stock shifts which are already slipped a bit more from the factory, to keep a smoothness to them. The stock AOD is definetely telling me that it is not liking the mucho power that I added in the last half a year. :D In regular shifting, the shifts are fine (no hanging shifts), which I think would signify that its the WOT shifts that could break something at some point. I timed a couple of 0-60 runs, and it was 5.64-5.88 seconds, with a slightly hanging shift, which makes me wonder how much more of a beast it could be with better WOT shifts.

I'm looking for something fairly firm, but nothing extreme or neck jerking. I also would like it to shift a bit more into the redline, to put the car into its powerband a bit more on the next gear. I've been spoiled on my Mustang, as everything is electronically controlled with the 4R70W, and I can change it in my tuner. What shift kits have you guys used, and what mods have you done that have worked for you?

Last edited:
I don't have any input on kits, but I'd suggest to confirm the TV cable is properly adjusted first. As well, some of us pull it a notch or two tighter, but testing with a gauge might be the ultimate confirmation. This may solve/help your immediate issues, but if not, then by all means investigate kits.

Now that the cooler fall weather is back, the car feels like it's gained way more power. The stock AOD feels like it may be slipping a tad at WOT (slightly hanging shift), but I think that it's probably just trying to keep the stock shifts which are already slipped a bit more from the factory, to keep a smoothness to them. The stock AOD is definetely telling me that it is not liking the mucho power that I added in the last half a year. :D In regular shifting, the shifts are fine (no hanging shifts), which I think would signify that its the WOT shifts that could break something at some point. I timed a couple of 0-60 runs, and it was 5.64-5.88 seconds, with a slightly hanging shift, which makes me wonder how much more of a beast it could be with better WOT shifts.

I'm looking for something fairly firm, but nothing extreme or neck jerking. I also would like it to shift a bit more into the redline, to put the car into its powerband a bit more on the next gear. I've been spoiled on my Mustang, as everything is electronically controlled with the 4R70W, and I can change it in my tuner. What shift kits have you guys used, and what mods have you done that have worked for you?

You may want to look into a constant pressure valve body from SilverFox or Lentech. I have the Silver Fox SPT-R and it has the O/D lock out and you can adjust the firmness of the shifts.
http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/silverfoxtrans.com/VB_AOD.html

I don't have any input on kits, but I'd suggest to confirm the TV cable is properly adjusted first. As well, some of us pull it a notch or two tighter, but testing with a gauge might be the ultimate confirmation. This may solve/help your immediate issues, but if not, then by all means investigate kits.

Ken, yeah, I've been wondering if the TV cable should be adjusted, or not. But I'm also aware that a transmission can be burnt up because of it, and I don't know as much as I should about adjusting it. I've read a little up on adjusting the TV cable, though.

Would the OD gear kick in sooner, if the TV cable were tighter? On my car, the OD kicks in after 60 km/h (40 mph), and that seems a bit too late for my liking--I'd rather that it kick in between the 55-60 ish speed, for quicker engagement with in town cruising.

Lentech valve body is the best mod for your trans. You will need to get the 1 or 2 calibration so that you don't break the stock inner small input shaft.

Would the OD gear kick in sooner, if the TV cable were tighter? On my car, the OD kicks in after 60 km/h (40 mph), and that seems a bit too late for my liking--I'd rather that it kick in between the 55-60 ish speed, for quicker engagement with in town cruising.

Ryan:

Upshift you mean? Maybe different from what's occurring now, if the pressure is off.

Yep, burning an AOD with an improperly adjusted cable is not good, but I'd at least try to make sure it's as close to factory as possible. Not that hard to do, I think, once you understand how to release/set the clip at the throttle body. I run two notches tight and with my mods, I've had better trans action and no apparent issues for going on 3 years now. Before that, I was studying kits, but decided to wait after adjusting the TV cable, instead. I'd have to check to see what speed mine decides to go into OD now...I want to say not as low as yours. Closer to 55, I think.

My point is to know as much about how the trans is set/acting first, so you have a good baseline if you decide to do a kit/valve body.

Upshift, yeah. The OD gear just seems to come in much later than it should. But that may just be the way that the transmissions were set to operate.

I'd looked at some instructions online about how to adjust the cable, and it seems like mine was where it should have been (in between the suggested min and max markings) but I had adjusted it one notch tighter than the mid point mark, and holy crap! It makes a big difference. The shifts are a bit firmer (even in regular driving) and the 1st to 2nd shift chirped a small bit. If I did one notch tighter, would anyone recommend this, as in they've done it with no adverse tranny effects? Ken, you said that you've done two notches tighter, and it's been okay? Do you get chirps on the shifts?

if you have a cable tuner 4r70 ALL THE WAY..all it needs is a jmoddesd valve body( sell kits for it) and the thing will runs crispy for ever..
lol i fried my aod on a brakestand when the cable broke off due to the faqctory plastic bushing i knew i shoulda replaced with a metal one with a lock through it..ggggrrrr at aods..

I personally suggest Silver Fox. They are basically the same as Lentech--as close as patent laws allow, for much less money.

if you have a cable tuner 4r70 ALL THE WAY..all it needs is a jmoddesd valve body( sell kits for it) and the thing will runs crispy for ever..
lol i fried my aod on a brakestand when the cable broke off due to the faqctory plastic bushing i knew i shoulda replaced with a metal one with a lock through it..ggggrrrr at aods..

I agree, the 4R70W is a fantastic transmission. I've thought about putting a 4R70W in the 'Bird. SCT set my shifts super hard on my 'Stang, enough to chirp the Nitto NT555 315's that I have on the back.....and the engine/ tranny has taken a ton of punishment and everything is fine.

Swaping a 4R70W to an older car will create what additional problems? Wiring? ECU? Just some questions.

Ken, you said that you've done two notches tighter, and it's been okay? Do you get chirps on the shifts?

That's right - been there for a while now and no ill effects I can find. If what you did helped, then you might want to stay at that level for a while, then maybe add another notch to see if it has a direct effect...no change, then back down. If your fluid is old, consider syphoning out a few quarts (only) and then adding new. And yes, w/14 lb's boost, there are times when the tires chirp on shift.

I checked upshift yesterday at 58 mph. & on the throttle.

Last edited:
The 4R70W, now that I think more about it, makes a lot of sense because the 1st gear ratio is higher than the AOD, as well. I'm just going off the top of my head, but I believe that the 1st gear ratio in the AOD is 2.40, whereas the 4R70W is 2.84.

I have a Sliver Fox SPT-R valve body and can chirp 2-3 with it left on default tuning.

While yes the 4R is better than an AOD, IMO unless your going to the 94+ DIS I wouldn't think it worth the work.

A built AOD will run ~$2000 (~$1000 in parts), I would assume a 4R would start at least $500 more than that if your starting with an AOD, now ask yourself if a lock-up converter is worth that much--essentially all 4R internals work in a AOD I know I have all but the 4R gearing.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Lentech VB with revised shift pattern and electric OD delete (calibration#2). This Lentech VB is 10 times better than the Trans-Go shift kit I had before.

David

How high have you gents shifted into the redline? I'm thinking of going with a shift kit/ valve body that would go to maybe 5500-5700 rpms...nothing too extreme, but something that would take advantage of the better trans ratio in 1st gear. With the mods that I've done, the car definetely keeps on pulling past 4000 rpms--I can floor it on the highway in 3rd and it still pulls hard. But I was wondering at what power levels people have known the trannys and stock valve springs to shuffle their way off of this mortal coil.

Back