Shifter problem?

Spencer

Hey guys, I bought my 91 SC about a month ago and have been fixing a bunch of things, one things on the list was the transmission/shifter. The shifter had a lot of slop and would occasionaly get "bound up." So I decided to order a rebuild kit for the shifter. So I took the center console all apart and it looked like someone had been in there before because some of the screws and stuff were loose and the biggest giveaway was the round plate that holds everything down, the bolts on it were halfway in, hand tight. It also seemed to be missing bushings because the only thing that came out with the shifter was a used up gasket that goes onto the bottom of the plate and the old pins. So I but the new bushings in, one below the ball, new pins and a new bushing on top of the ball, and finally a "wave washer" on top. I put everything back together and it felt WAYYY better, it was notchy like people have described the m5r2 to be. Except the only problem is now after about a week of moving it around the shop, it's like the shifter is getting bound up again except there isn't any slop. I will try to describe it. So you take off in first and come to a stop, when pulling the shifter out of first into neutral, it seems like there is a lot of weight on the gear, and when it feels like there's a lot of weight on it is usually when it gets bound up, like you'll get it out of first and you try to put it into any gear and it just wont push in, even with a lot of force it wont go in, I even try pumping the clutch a bunch in case there is any air in the system, which I dont think there is. I have to jiggle the shifter around, trying to put it into like 5th and 2nd and stuff, and it will finally release and then go back to how it should normally feel. Any Ideas? Maybe the linkage is out of whack? Internal problem? The car had a clutch done 20k miles ago when the motor was rebuilt, then sat for a couple of years, so I'm not thinking its the clutch, except maybe if they forgot something like a shim. I have drained and filled the transmission with new fluid and replaced the clutch fluid that was in the reservoir as well.

Last edited:
Shifter

I had issues with the shifter in my 92' SC.................the cure? get a B&M Ripper..............one of the first things I did to my 94' was a Ripper. I even have a new one ready for another future SC.

I had issues with the shifter in my 92' SC.................the cure? get a B&M Ripper..............one of the first things I did to my 94' was a Ripper. I even have a new one ready for another future SC.

I've read those are pretty sweet, but since I just got the car I dont want to spend $200+ on something that may not fix the problem, what was your stock shifter doing?

Sounds like a dragging clutch. Raising the rear wheels off the ground and let it idle with gear engaged and clutch depressed will give you an indication.

Back