check this out! Did this on the pullmax machine at work

evil1

When I was in process of restoring my car in 06 i wanted to do something different but keep it subtle, the hood was missing something and I was not real big on what was out there for fiberglass replacements, its all been done before. I try to create things that are one of a kind wile keeping it looking like it was done at the factory. With the first hood I cut down the sides of the peeks in the center then across too the center on a five degree angle dropped it down 1 1/4" so the opening lands just in front of the rad. when closed, then made a duct on the air intake side. It's funny how many people see it and ask if it came that way from the factory or if it's glass? Anyway I've been working in this new shop for going on two years, when I found out he had a Pullmax I was like kid in a candy store. The machine is amazing, with the right set of dies and skill level you can create any detail in sheet metal. This one originally
came from a navy ship yard or from a navy ship not sure, my boss is the third owner but it still has the USN. serial# tag on it he does know that it was made in the forties. he has added a few modern upgrades to it for better control and ease of use.This was my first attempt at louvers on a hood. My boss was not to sure if it was going to work out, top surfaces are not easy. Also the hood on our cars has a lot going in that zone, first it has a crown in the center then it starts to flatten as it flows back then at the rear edge it has a slight flip up the rear edge also has a curve so to cut a louver straight across would look stupid most likely flatten the crown and end up warping it out of shape, game over. My plan was to cut them on a five degree angle to keep with the flow of the back edge and give some style to the overall look. Too keep from doing to much damage to the crown I figured to keep a 1" gap between the two rows to help hold the crown and 3/4" on each side so not to put high spots in the peaks. The die does three things, first it creates a fracture line once that is done you change the stroke of the machine and it starts punching the louver as you slide the work piece along the fracture line. when you reach the end of the fracture there is a lever on the bottom die that you pull (or push depending what end of the louver you are) this turns the lower die and forms the corner of the louver. after that you are done now you have to line up for the next one. I punched a total of 38 louvers it took about four hours and a full day to make a jig too support it in the machine. They are hot off the machine as you see them. They still need to be filed,the edges are like razors and some hand plenishing to remove tool marks. Thanks for taking a look.
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0131.jpg
    IMG_0131.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 386
here are more

Attachments

• IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 381
That's cool! I like the heat extractor in the first photo too, but I guess that is a different car?

louvers

Thank you for all the positive feed back guys.
Hey David D. the first hood is on my car now, A friend of mine gave me his old anni. and my girl wants me to fix it up for her, so it looks like my car have a sister. I will be putting that one on her car.
Bryan, Im in Port Saint Lucie.
I will post more pics. soon, got it in black epoxy the other day and put it on the car so I could see that all is well. It will look sweet when done.
Mark

Hey David D. the first hood is on my car now, A friend of mine gave me his old anni. and my girl wants me to fix it up for her, so it looks like my car have a sister. I will be putting that one on her car.
I will post more pics. soon, got it in black epoxy the other day and put it on the car so I could see that all is well. It will look sweet when done.
Mark

Very cool! Thanks for sharing the process.

Mark

Splitting my time between Kansas and Fort Pierce these days. Just up the road from PSL. The traffic sucks, by the way.

traffic really, I work in fort pierce. You want to play in traffic you should try fort lauderdale Im from down there
evry morning I would back out of my driveway and be in a traffic jam.

That looks great! Heat extraction is a huge necessity on these engines and engine bays. If you were closer to where I live (Central Canada), I'd pay you to do some work on my hood.

The louvers look great!!! I've been to 'Metal Meet' a few times and one of the guys brings a Pullmax to the meet. It can do some amazing things when you have the time to set it up properly!!!

Can't wait to see the pics when you get it done and on the car!!

Lance

Back