Another sparkplug thread, what do you feel is the best?

FrankenBird

i have read over and over oem motorcraft platinums, well my old ones were old so i replaced with brand new ones propperly gapped and all and i had a high end missfire, evently taht day a blown HG..now, i have ALWAYS used bosch platinum 4's..ya know? the ones with the 4 prongs and ddont gotta gap them..has anyone run these in their supercoupe by chance? im doing hg's and getting all new parts for when i do them and i dont wanna put in new plugs twice and have missfires twice..what about the e3 plugs? but i mainly wanna know if anybodys ran the bosch platinum 4's....

The car is reasonably stock and I thought you were just going to sell it, I would get coppers....I have no trouble with them.

well, im fixing the car and trying to sell it..but when and if i gather all the parts and have the money, i will get it fixed..
and as for sparkplugs im not looking for best performance or a gain in hp im just looking for ones that are easy to use. i love the 4 tips because you never have to gap them or worry about that and ive had great luck and never one missfire using them in my 4.6's sohc and dohc's..i even used nitrous a few times on the plugs and they were fine..i just dont know if they would be fine in the sc, i was pretty dissapointed after i spent 2 hours changing the old plugs(which ended up looking fine) for oem just to have a highend missfire afterwards. so after that i lost faith in the oem platinum motorcrap plugs.

The car is reasonably stock and I thought you were just going to sell it, I would get coppers....I have no trouble with them.

yes and no...has 75m Tbody, 3in intake, 73mm mafs, 42lb injectors, high flow radiator and i was going to install a 7% pulley and non slip belt..and i may possibly port the heads when the headgaskets get done, might aswell since they will be off. ille probly port the plenum too then and maby the lower intake.

i also DID NOT MEAN bosch platinum 4 , its the BOSCH PLATINUM FUSION spark plugs.they still have a 4 prong tip though.

Last edited:
I run Autolite dual plats and have had no issues. If you really think a motorcraft plug damaged your engine, you should contact them about it.

Last edited:
I run Autolite dual plats and have had no issues. If you really think a motorcraft plug damaged your engine, you should contact them about it.

it did casue a missfire but me being dumb i chased a cobra with it and when i couldnt go over 90 i looked behind me and was blowing coolant out the pipes..like a fog machine,lol..i got it home and it wasnt even close to over heating thankfully. so im hoping the heads are ok and seal on the HG's...
i got all new gaskets from heads up, sparkplug wires and soon gonna get the plugs, ille get oil motrflush and coolant, got new belts and a pulley. and am debating apr head bolts but may just get stock for saving a few bucks that i really need.

Last edited:
A few years ago when my son had his 90 auto we decided to do a test. We installed those split fire plugs. We would change plugs at the track. He would consistently lose two tenths in the quarter. I also think the split fire or four tip two top is all just hype. I highly doubt that a correct plug for your car messed up the motor. The head gaskets let go.

it wasnt coincidence i got a missfire top end ritye after changing plugs..the car ran perfect befor i changed them.i wish i never had! i gapped and double checked all the gaps befor i put them in and i also didnt drop one or anything, i was very careful with them..
my reason i like the 4 prongs plugs is A.no gapping and the gap never widens or constricts over time B i feel they prevent blowout by having 4 grounds for a spark to choose its path.I swear it felt like the oem's i put in were having spark blow out when i went W.O.T.i also had new 10.2 wires on too when i put the new plugs in. i swicthed back to the stock wires aqnd the missfire was still there but not as bad as when i had the so called performance wires on...i also ordered a new set of oem wires..rock auto had a sale and they were 13$ shipped.saweeet!

My opinion on plug change and blown Head.

Either the new plug allowed detention (new sharp edges and all) or the increased power from a good fire blew the already bad gasket. Either way the gaskets were already bad, just not blown.

It is my understanding the the factory uses the platinum plugs because of warranty and emissions reasons. The platinum wears slower and keeps everything in spec longer. The platinum also tends to hold in more heat. Spark plugs are dirt cheap. I stick with the basic auto light in everything I own. Who cares if I have to replace every year or two. there is no need for a fancy gimmicky plug in a performance application IMO.

Back