Broken SurTrack FD-8082 Axle

dthompson

Here is a picture of the axle I broke at the shootout. It was a SurTrack FD-8082 from RockAuto. I think O'reilly's sells the same axle. I had this axle installed for about 6 months to a year. If this axle ever saw any wheel hop, it was incidental from a little squeal or chirp on the street. This was the inner stub.

broken axle.jpg

As mentioned on FB, from what I can see in the photo (oxidation in the ratchet marks and a small instantaneous zone), that shaft was damaged well before the final failure.

The real question is, how long did it take to fix at the track.

My record is 15 minutes at Joliet, Il. All hand tools.

That's not the real question because it required removing both axles and partially disassembling the differential to get the broken piece out. I think the real question or point here is that this is was a NEW axle, not a reman which means that the components are not made on this side of the ocean. While they look nice, the heat treat and/or materials used are not up to the rigorous task of racing. In all cases, I recommend using only Ford axles (unless you've upgraded to DSS or RCV).

About 3.5 hours. Since it was the inner stub, we had to take the diff cover off. Corey used a screwdriver to wedge between the kingpin and the end of the broken spline and got it to pop free. Then had to clean every thing up, reseal the cover. We replaced both axles with ford axles and refilled the diff. Phillip helped a bunch and made it go pretty quick. Dave was kind enough to help make suggestions on ways to get the broken piece out of the diff. It would have taken me twice that long by myself, but i haven't done this stuff a million times...yet.

Even if you get used ones you would be better off. Mine are still factory ones with close to 200,000 miles and a few hundred launches at the track and the car use to be a 5 speed. I am sure they are due got a spaire set in the truck tool box.

Even if you get used ones you would be better off. Mine are still factory ones with close to 200,000 miles and a few hundred launches at the track and the car use to be a 5 speed. I am sure they are due got a spaire set in the truck tool box.

That is what is on there now.

Back