2015 Shootout weights

Mercutio

SCCoA Member
This year we only got 9 MN12s weighed, but I thought I'd post up the results of doing so. This isn't terribly apples to apples stuff, but if people want to post information as to exact year, options, what they've done to their cars, how much fuel they had at the time, back seat removed for racing, etc., that's fine.

Brian Oatway 2957
Will Smith 3392
Sarah Homan 3631
David Dalke 3675
Jim Smith 3684
Matt Haub 3725
Derek Thompson 3761
Chris Homan 3776
Rich Bruhn (BB car) 3891

Non SCs:

Shane Glynn Mach 1 3344
Pat DiPersia Tesla 5034

For whatever reason, this year's cars were a lot lighter on average than last year's cars. If you take out my car and Brian's car, last year's lightest was Chris Vining's SC, and this year, it would only have been fourth lightest (again, not counting Brian's car or mine).

Combined with data from last year's Shootout, here are all the weights I have:

Brian Oatway 2957
Will Smith 3392
Sarah Homan 3631
Dave Dalke 3675
Jim Smith 3684
Chris Vining 3686
Matt Haub 3725
Scott Bruhn 3731
Jeff Bratton 3738
Derek Thompson 3761
Chris Homan 3776
Ryan Zimmerly 3806
Jacob Royer 3819
Zachary Lowe 3838
Rich Bruhn (BB car) 3891
Kurt Kreisz 3892
Kurt Sunday 3892
Steven Watson 3923
David Clark 3980
John Speziale 3988
Jim Sanderson 4022
Chris Wise 4038
Ken Wagner 4102

Averaging all these weights yields 3,780 pounds. Removing Brian's car and my car as statistical outliers, the average is 3,838 pounds.

Cool data Will! My car is a 5.0 so it's not an SC, but it had full interior and the only weight reduction is AC delete. I had an amp and 2x12's sub box, a nitrous system with full bottle, 3/4 take of gas, and Cobra R's on the car so I think it might have dipped under 3600 pretty easily without further weight reduction.

MY 89 was 3740. I hope the 90 hits in the 3,600 range know that I have both full manual seats. plus the 35th has a few less options

Thanks again for doing this.

I did notice on my weight that the right front seemed off (Or might be completely normal for a Tesla.) Did you notice this on any other cars? I didn't notice it until just now.

Tesla Individual Weights Small.jpg

Will,
Thanks for bringing the scales again this year. I appreciate it and it was pretty damn interesting seeing where my car sits in relation to others and what the balance was overall.

Thanks again,

Smitty

Thanks again for doing this.

I did notice on my weight that the right front seemed off (Or might be completely normal for a Tesla.) Did you notice this on any other cars? I didn't notice it until just now.

View attachment 64237

I don't think the space we weighed the cars was entirely level: I tried to find the most level spot I could, but I was somewhat limited by the length of available extension cord(s) and available external power. I suspect all cars weighed this weekend probably weigh slightly less on the left side than indicated on the scales, but to what extent, I can't say.

That said, I think the factory battery location tends to make these cars heavy on the left front. Even if you move the battery, you still have the alternator, stock IC location/piping, PS pump, and steering shaft on the left front.

I don't know a thing about Teslas (except they apparently break physics), so I don't think I can offer much help as to your specific case, Pat.

Enjoyed meeting you Will. It is really interesting to see the range of weights. As for what my numbers mean...

Derek Thompson 3761 lbs

1989 SC 5 speed with full interior (no sunroof). 13" cobra brakes added, 18 x9 saleen speed star wheels, 245 45 18s up front and 275 40 18s out back, Custom FMIC, added small amp for door speakers, added 2 gauges and custom exhaust. Eliminated: ABS system, ABS harness, ARC and ABS controllers, Sub box, jbl amp, and jbl harness. The car had about 16 gallons of gas (approx full tank minus 3 gallons). pretty common type upgrades and mods for our cars.

I don't think the space we weighed the cars was entirely level: I tried to find the most level spot I could, but I was somewhat limited by the length of available extension cord(s) and available external power. I suspect all cars weighed this weekend probably weigh slightly less on the left side than indicated on the scales, but to what extent, I can't say.

That said, I think the factory battery location tends to make these cars heavy on the left front. Even if you move the battery, you still have the alternator, stock IC location/piping, PS pump, and steering shaft on the left front.

I don't know a thing about Teslas (except they apparently break physics), so I don't think I can offer much help as to your specific case, Pat.

Nope, that's all I was looking for. Thanks for the insight, and thanks for bringing the scales! Very entertaining to say the least!

Will, how extensive is your weight reduction? Could you shed light on what you have done?

I need a lift in faith towards what I can expect, since Brian destroyed it. Especially since this is car with no driver, which is a bit misleading.

Will, how extensive is your weight reduction? Could you shed light on what you have done?

I need a lift in faith towards what I can expect, since Brian destroyed it. Especially since this is car with no driver, which is a bit misleading.

I have various threads on weight reduction, but the short version is that my car is still very much a street car. Here's the TLDR version on what I can remember:

Removed: stereo, keyless entry, automatic ride control, unused wiring, foglights, metal plate in glove box door, dead pedal, puller fan

Lighter-than-stock replacement parts: fiberglass hood, tiny battery, aluminum driveshaft, Lincoln pumpkin/lower rear control arms, custom front coilovers, custom tubular rear sway bar, aluminum radiator, plastic idler pulleys, aluminum JS/crank/WP pulleys, V-brace behind rear seat, front seats, headers, aluminum flywheel, non-electrochromatic mirror, exhaust, mandrel-bent IC tubes, rear lowering springs, intake tube, air filter

Stuff that's added weight: wheels/tires, front sway bar, double IC w/fan, brakes, Snow meth kit.

There are a bunch of changes that I can't answer one way or another how they affected the weight. Engine internals, MPX plenum, stuff like that.

Back