Fiberglass hood

gbabione

I have recently been working on my Cobra R hood I ordered from SCP. There is a lot of work to get it to fit. I am trying to just get it to a point where it works and then let a bodyman do the rest. I had to grind off quite a bit of the hinge flange on both sides to get the hinges on the hood. I raised the latch as high as it will go and it's not even close. It will barely catch the safety latch. If I have to do some fabrication that is fine, but I haven't read any perfect ways of fixing. Also, by raising the latch, now the safety release of course does not sit flat. Any ideas on fixing both problems? Why do they not make the hood to where the latch doesn't need modified?
For the lift supports, I have read numerous times to use old worn out ones. I can't believe nobody has come up with a part that will work perfectly. So I am working on that issue and will post what I come up with. I am trying ones with 40 lbs of force first. The question I have is, why do we have 2 different size ball mounts when all supports come with the same at both ends? How do we replace the lower ball and where do we find a 10mm replacement? Thanks for the help.

Not sure all cars are aligned the same.

But, there is a flat black mat/ deflector sitting across the top frame.

Recut approx. .5 " and retest for closer.

Mine is pretty much factory closure with this fix.

Paul

When I did mine, I did have to add length to my latch to make it work. I also had to trim around the headlights for even fit from side to side. Not much you can do to make the hood fit perfect. Mine vibrates going down the highway, gives you a slight scare about it cracking out and flying up someday, I might just be crazy about that ever happening too. I have crossed 160mph in mine and it held down

Mine was the same way, had to do some grinding on the latch as well as raising it up a bit. I run hood pins for added security because the latch hole on my hood looks like crap in the strength department. Once you have a hood fly up on you it makes you look a lot harder at all the aspects of the fit up.

Hood supports

I tried a few different hood supports. I tried ones with 40lb force and they weren't strong enough. I then tried 2 pair with 65lbs of force. One of which was the same length as the stock ones. I couldn't get the hood up high enough to get them on. The other pair is for a 97-98 Mark VIII. They are about a half inch shorter but they come with the unmatched ends (must be a Ford thing). They work perfect.

Back