Wining sound coming from trunk area

derekhay316

There's a low pitched whining sound as soon as i turn the key to the on position coming from the back trunk area. Since the sound comes on when the car hasn't actually started this means its electrical... So what could it be? Maybe something to do with the ride control or something? I unplugged the stock amp a while ago maybe I uplugged something else? Any ideas on solving this? My ride control seems to be working fine though... Suspension actually does get stiffer when turned on. Thanks.

That's probably your fuel pump you hear. It engages and pressurizes the system when you turn the ignition on. If you didn't hear it before and do now, it's possible it's starting to go out.

-Chris

Try removing the fuel cap, put you ear up to the fuel fill pipe, have someone turn on the key (not start the engine) and determine if this is the noise you hear. The noise you hear is the fuel pump and it should stop in a few seconds. You asked how much does a fuel pump cost, well another appropiate question is how long will it take to install a fuel pump. You have to remove the fuel tank and in my case since the exaust was modified, I had to cut the tail pipe. It is a time consuming job.

It's the fuel pump. Mine made a constant rumble noise. I replaced it witha 190 lph walbro pump kit from a Mustang Parts vendor. I just installed the new pump on the existing pump assembly.

If your car doesn't leak fuel on a completely full tank of gascompletely you can reuse the assembly. I had this problem and fuel would leak around the steal fuel lines coming out of the assembly. This caused me to do the job twice. This isn't a fun job.

The tank has to come down to replace the pump. Drive the car until the [u[]RED[/u] check gage light comes on inside the tach. This will get you under 3 gallon of gas in the tank. Then drop the tank and replace the pump. Don't wait too long because if the pump quits you will be walking. Also tow trucks aren't nice to SCs and front and rear gfx can get damaged.

Might not be a bad time to look into the later model fuel tank as well, if you are thinking of doing some exhaust upgrades......

Hey I just took a look at it and the sound does not come on when the key is just turned to the on position. It only comes on when the car is started. It is coming from the right back side. The car was banged there before and the right shock was replaced. Could it be this? Also it has been like this for about 15,000 km's. Wouldn't have the fuel pump have failed by now? Also it sound like the sound has gotten quiter since i first noticed it. Thanks.

Back