Driver's Window Regulator

Garys SC

Fellow SC Lovers,

I'm in urgent need of a driver's window regulator, clean & in good working order!

If you have one for sale, please contact me ASAP. (My SC is in the shop and the mechanic wanted me to find the part)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Gary Henry
Matthews, NC

Rebuild it

The motors are pretty tough. Does the motor still spin but the gear doesn't turn when tested? If so, you just need to open it up and replace the three plastic bushings inside. These are designed to fail to protect the motor from overload if something jams the window. You can find then at Autozone or Napa in the HELP section for a few dollars.

Just to be clear....are you after the scissor like hardware that move the window up/down (and is typically riveted in) or just the motor/gearbox component?

Description

From what I understood from my mechanic, he needs the scissor-like mechanism with the wound spring and gear system.

He told me that the motor was strong & in good shape, thus making me think it's the lifting system.

Thanks!
Gary

Just FYI, people might sound slightly puzzled because...

Failure of the plastic gear plugs is extremely common. So common that I keep a couple sets on the shelf at home for the next time mine fail.

And failure of the metal gear and scissors is extremely rare. As in, my family has put maybe 300,000 miles on MN12s, and I have never seen one fail.

Just saying, before anyone goes drilling out rivets and messing with spring-loaded devices, maybe ask if he's sure that the $6 plastic pieces are good.

Just saying, before anyone goes drilling out rivets and messing with spring-loaded devices, maybe ask if he's sure that the $6 plastic pieces are good.

+1, good point ;)

I think I'd rather replace the entire door than mess with the regulator and hope it worked when done.

Whole door?

After discovering how difficult it is to find a decently priced regulator that's not all rusty, I'm sure a replacement door would be tons of fun trying to find!

Mine is in perfect shape outside and in, except the window won't go up & down.

OUT OF CURIOSITY..... how much would a complete door set me back??

Gary

Looks like $60, locally, u-pull. Hinges are easy, and gives you a chance to refresh them and the roller (low cost for all) - not sure how much fun the harness would be.

Back