Power steering pump pulley came loose

Falcon20x

Just finished a head gasket replacement. The engine was running at idle for about a hour. The issue started with a squealing noise clearly coming from the power steering, then the noise got progressively worst until the belt came off.
I found out that the pulley was getting loose, I did not even need any tools to get it off from the power steering shaft. Using the correct install tool, I know I had the pulley pushed all the way back in

Is there a limit to how many times you can reuse the pulley or the power steering pump (Shaft) before you have to change either one or both ?

Is there a limit to how many times you can reuse the pulley or the power steering pump (Shaft) before you have to change either one or both ?

I don't think so..

Your description of what happened makes me think your power steering pump tied up on you..That usually happens when they have been run dry for too long..

Anyways, If the power steering pump tied up on you with the engine running..The serpentine belt could have spun the pulley on the seized power steering pump shaft..Making that press fit pulley worthless if the center of it has been damaged by a seized power steering pump..

I would try turning the power steering pump by hand..Maybe with a pair of vise grips??..Just try not to damage the power steering pump shaft..Since the pulley gets press fit on there..

You can also spin the power steering pump with an electric drill..I don't know what size bit it uses off hand..Try putting different allen wrenches on the end of the shaft until you can figure out the size..Then use that size allen head bit in your drill..It should be a 3/8" hex bit..

The power steering pump should spin pretty easily with an electric drill..

If your power steering pump tied up on you..You're going to need a new pulley, and a new pump..Well, Good used pulley.. :rolleyes:

Rayo..

Last edited:
This happened on my 89...when I bought it the pulley was JB weld'd in place. Not sure the story behind it however.

New Pulley and everything runs like new.

-Tim

Back