Intermittently no start

bwbays86

SCCoA Member
I have a 91 sc 5 speed. The shift up light and engine light and buzzer come on and off. The fuel pump cut in and out as well. Ircm issue possible

I have ran code only 111 which is pass. What is the other relay behide passager shock tower. I know one is abs other ?. Would a crank or cam sensor cause it to happen?

Relays on the firewall on the pass. side are either both ABS (one motor/pump & one system) or also a 3rd relay for A/C cutout on WOT.

For your issue, tho, I'd check the multi-wire connector/switch for the ignition down on the right side of the steering column (not the key cylinder), which tend to open up over the years. New is less than $20?

That's it. car has been sitting release bearing went. I replaced balancer last Dec. Has been running great. I would go out and start it once a week. The one night last week this started happening. Just the normal light when starting the shift up and engine light have quite flickering but still won't start

Last edited:
I know cam sensor can cause a lot of these problems usually makes the tac read erratic some times. Its easy to replace I would try that. also have found the wiring plug on top of fuel pump melted before causing intermittent prob like that.

Last edited:
I think relays take a beating this time of year when they're older. Might be IRCM...

Make sure the battery isn't too low to provide enough juice to keep the systems happy.

Battery is good plus I keep a maintainer on it sent I'm not driving it. Fuel pump went out in 2014 I replace the connect head then. Also put in a 200 lph pump then. I have good fuel pressure.

Ok I'm still fighting this issue I have replaced cam sensir crank sensor, and ignition switch. Would the ignition module cause the check engine light and shift up light to not come on or is it a ircm issue. Fuel pump isn't work so no fuel pressure but fan works.

I had intermittent issues and swapped through my dis modules and once I found a good one the problem went away...also check the harness for fraying.

Back