Lower control arm, tie rod and end links - Help Please

Greg

I'm doing some suspension work over the holidays and need your assistance on several questions.

1. Is there a ball joint on the lower control arm(3051 and 3042 numbers out of the shop manual). If there is, do you have to purchase the entire control arm assembly or just the ball joint.
2. Same question about the tie rod. Do you have to purchase the whole assembly or just the ball joint. ( I saw some post out there talking about just purchasing the ball joint but I just want to verify this).
3. I'm lowering my car by 1.5". I've seen some posts stating that you need to change out your sway bar end links. My question, do you need to change the front and back? Also, where do you go to purchase these components? Does anyone have them pre set for a 1.5" lowered suspension?

Thanks a million for your help in advance.

Greg

For the lower control arm you can buy just the balljoint or the entire arm. If you buy the whole arm you get a new bushing too. If you buy the balljoint only you need to get them pressed in the old arms.

The outer tie rod end is it's own part. You don't need to buy the whole thing. It unscrews from the tie rod.

You can't buy a shorter end link for the front. If you want to try to level out the swaybay you would have to cut and re-attach a stock link. I just left the front when I lowered my cars.
In the rear you can get a shorter link. Autozone sells Energy Suspension links in different lengths.
What you are trying to do is make the rear bar sit level so you need a shorter link to do it. Measure the distance between the lower control arm and the level swaybar and get the closest link that they have.

Hey Tony,

Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me how your cars performed after lowering them and leaving the front way bar end link original?

Again, thanks for your time.

Greg

Greg
They both handle tons better than they did before the suspension upgrades.
I chicken out way before I have gotten the tires to let loose on a corner.
I have yet to hear of anyone saying their car handled poorly as a result of not leveling out the front swaybar. I would guess 95% of the lowered T-Birds out there never bothered with the front endlinks.

Tony,

Thanks again for your help. I now have a solid plan on what I need to change on the lower part of my suspension. Between the looking at the car and the shop manual, you can get a little confused and overwhelmed on how to approach a problem, what to check, or what needs to be changed out. This Bulletin Board has been a life savor and a money saver. Again, thanks….

Happy Thanksgiving,
Greg

Back