mp fmic

Depends on how much heat you're dealing with.

What mods have you already done?

In some cases, a simple puller fan on the stock IC can be a decent gain, where the idea is to keep intake temps under control and avoid pulling timing. Don't think HP gain so much as guarding against HP loss.

But if you've done major mods, run a chip, etc., then you need all the help you can get, but at that point you know exactly what your ACTs are and then it's just a matter of doing the math based on your budget.

You're not thinking of putting an MP FMIC on an otherwise stock car, are you?

Did you ask Charles yet? He's pretty good about that type of info. Seen this link? http://www.sccoa.com/articles/cwintercooler.php

Last edited:
Depends on how much heat you're dealing with.

What mods have you already done?

In some cases, a simple puller fan on the stock IC can be a decent gain, where the idea is to keep intake temps under control and avoid pulling timing. Don't think HP gain so much as guarding against HP loss.

But if you've done major mods, run a chip, etc., then you need all the help you can get, but at that point you know exactly what your ACTs are and then it's just a matter of doing the math based on your budget.

You're not thinking of putting an MP FMIC on an otherwise stock car, are you?

Did you ask Charles yet? He's pretty good about that type of info. Seen this link? http://www.sccoa.com/articles/cwintercooler.php

Ive done no mods yet but am in the research and parts gathering stage right now.

Sorry, I did sort of mod the exhaust but not the way I want it. The stock res was shot so I replaced with 2.5 in/out magnaflow, but its to short, and ran that back to the existing y pipe which is newer 2.5 with flowmasters. Its a quick fix which i want to avoid doing again which is why im trying to plan my next steps more carefully. I had to fix the exhaust though, the car was obnoxiuosly loud.

I think I have a blown head gasket so in the spring either way the top end of the motor is coming apart. If im going to do that I want to put on a nice set of heads and maybe a mild cam, along with injector upgrade. Port manifolds and look at a nice exhaust setup. Aluminum rad.

I dont plan on doing anything to the stock bottom end in the near future. I want to make safe power on the stock 3.8 for now. Id much rather spend my money making it safe than just making it. I want to drive the thing after all and drive it everyday on the street during the nice months. Id like it to be fast of course but more important to me is reliability.

From what I can gather the biggest detriment to making safe power is excessive heat be it from poor engine cooling due to bad rad or water pump, tstat, or failed temp sensors to tuning.

The other concern is high act from blower causing premature ignition, correct? Or just causing the engine to run hotter than its capable of cooling or causing timing issues. If a fmic can effectively reduce this danger over stock ic and protect the investment in mods and prolong the stock block than is it worth the cost to benifit over stock ic or dic?

SIDE NOTE
I know ive got a lot to learn im sure.

I plan on reaching out to the guys on here who can stear me in the right direction for head work in the near future as id like to have a set ready to go by spring.

My inital plans were to address the paint and body this spring but it seems that would be like putting lipstick on a pig at this point.

I wanted to try building the heads myself but working 5 sometimes 6 fourteen hour days a week leaves me thinking it would be money well spent to have someone who does it for a living do it, and do it right the first time.

I dont have the tools or the knowledge to do it yet anyway. I hope to though, someday. Untill then ill keep asking what probably seem like dumb questions until I feel like I have a grasp on the thing and can make a deciscion to move forward without regretting to much.

You might want to adopt a fairly common practice of doing incremental mods, then selling any parts you outgrow. Start with a cooling fan on the IC, then if you find you're pushing measurable ACTs, step up to a dbl. IC, keeping the fan. Then if you find it isn't keeping up, sell it with the fan and move to a FMIC, etc.

But if you have the budget to live large, gather everything and go big from the start. A whopping big FMIC might impress the gang, but it might also be overkill if not needed, where that money could be better spent elsewhere. If you have mad skills, tho, you might be able to put one in for pennies...

High ACTs, where timing starts being pulled at 150°, will quickly negate mods, so....

High engine/coolant temps in general will contribute to sustained high ACTs, so... You can lower the thermostat range, but you'll need to reprogram to get the fan back to compatible temp ranges. You can wrap manifolds to reduce heat shed into the engine compartment. You can spend on a premium aluminum radiator. You can run custom hood to help evacuate heat, but be aware of not ruining the stock cooling flow, which involves a negative pressure zone under the engine to help promote flow in the front and out, under the car. There are many tricks and things you can do, but again, you may want to gather actionable data first.

How you deal with engine compartment heat also depends on if the car ever, or only, sees the strip, etc.

What year is your SC?

Last edited:
I did a fmic for cheap. Like under 400 dollars. But a big 4in thick one in the front. Cx racing intercooler and piping domt have many mods for now. But did full sized radiator and have almost all parts to build a sweet motor. Even a late model ported blower with mp inlet

Its a 91 with 142, 000 miles on it.

The thing that makes me anxious to gather parts is that I see a few of the vendors have stopped carrying or producing some of the parts that you guys are using so when I see them come up for sale, although they seem over kill for current plans or uneccessary for right now im worried they wont be available for purchase down the road. Thats probably because I havent been here long enougn to see how frequently the good stuff pops up so im eager to inquire about everything that comes across the table.
I really need to sit down tomorrow and put pen to paper and draft out a plan moving forward with a set goal and budget.

219_307_8013 give me a text I will send u pics. Cant figure out how to send pics on here. I did it myself with a measuring tape miter saw few beers took about 4 hours.

I did a CXracing 4"x12"x24" intercooler as well. I want to say i spent probably $800 total, most of that was paying a shop to make and weld custom tubing.

example FMIC picturesm... mine are in this thread somewhere...
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?130786-Custom-FMIC-pictures-wanted

From what I can gather the mp fmic is a bolt on and works with the griffin alum radiator.
Is the mp unit sub par? From what I can see it reduces acts and pressure drop and way out flows the stock and dic.
If guess what im asking is if you could have done the mp for the same price or less than you did yours would you have? Is there advantages to your setup over theirs?

Mine is bigger cools better. Way less money. And is roited for a full sized radiator. Which is thicker than griffen and runs full length. High speed fan never kicks in. Even in 90 degree temps with ac on. And any big intercooler will take away from pressure loss. The stock one is small. Which works good untill u develope heat. I would do it the way I did it again if I got another one. Wat cheaper. Just spend some time and do it yourself. Look at other threds and pics. Or I can send u pics. Our cars are expensive if u buy from the few companies that sells parts for. If u can do the same setup or better for cheaper do it. It will save u then u want to buy heads cam etc in the long run. Just my opinion. Plus it looks sweet.

How effective is the magnum powers fmic over stock? Mp fmic vs dbl intercooler cost to benefit?

Gained 21 rwhp on my car back in 2002 going from double IC to MP FMIC. See the two post below for details. I think I had a built motor with ported heads with over sized valves, upgraded cam and a ported early model ESM blower.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?14083-MP-FMIC-installed-w-pics

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthr...-installing-MP-FMIC&highlight=MP+FMIC+results

David

PS: I'm still using the same MP FMIC today.

Last edited:
From what I can gather the mp fmic is a bolt on and works with the griffin alum radiator.
Is the mp unit sub par? From what I can see it reduces acts and pressure drop and way out flows the stock and dic.
If guess what im asking is if you could have done the mp for the same price or less than you did yours would you have? Is there advantages to your setup over theirs?

Sub par, no. The mpfmic performs better than stock or dic, however for less money you can equal or outperform the mp fmic with a custom fmic. It all depends on how hot your air charge is getting. If you need a bolt on upgrade, the mp fmic is the best, but most expensive way to go. I would still make a custom one if I had to do it over again.

The one I made is bigger than the mp version and can handle more heat. It also sits lower and in front of ac condenser so it cools better. Those are the two biggest advantages.

Well I lost out on a brand new mp fmic with fan and hardware on eBay for 800 shipped. This indecision is killing me.

Back