5.0 coyote t-56 95 mercury cougar

Flynner8009

I just put an 2011 5.0 coyote motor with t-56 tranny in my 95 mercury cougar my shifter dosnt line up with whole to the inside its 3 3/4 in from it got any ideas how to get it to work with cutting an bigger whole

need some pics. someone made a remote shifter for a t56 i believe, but i cant fins the thread.

need some pics. someone made a remote shifter for a t56 i believe, but i cant fins the thread.
Iv tryed putting pics on here and keep saying error and iv herd about the remote shifter I can't find anything on it the guy that built my oil pan and hearders to make it fit is stumped too

Last edited:
There is really no way to make that trans work without cutting the hole in the floor larger. Once that is done though, the remote shifter is fairly easy to make with some angle iron, a piece of tubing, and a stock T5/T45 shifter. Basically you use studs instead of bolts to hold the shifter in place, then on top of the shifter you put 2 pieces of angle iron extending back, bolt of weld the stock T5 shifter in place to act as the remote shifter, then use a piece of steel tubing, notched on both sides, to connect the 2 shifters.

Or, if you pull the T56 out and swap in a TR-6060 for an 07+ shelby, the shifter will land in exactly the right spot, and the stock shelby slave cylinder will work with a stock SC clutch pedal and master to operate the clutch.

There is really no way to make that trans work without cutting the hole in the floor larger. Once that is done though, the remote shifter is fairly easy to make with some angle iron, a piece of tubing, and a stock T5/T45 shifter. Basically you use studs instead of bolts to hold the shifter in place, then on top of the shifter you put 2 pieces of angle iron extending back, bolt of weld the stock T5 shifter in place to act as the remote shifter, then use a piece of steel tubing, notched on both sides, to connect the 2 shifters.

Or, if you pull the T56 out and swap in a TR-6060 for an 07+ shelby, the shifter will land in exactly the right spot, and the stock shelby slave cylinder will work with a stock SC clutch pedal and master to operate the clutch.

Any sources to all these statements? The mustang slave needs to be matched to a 3/4 piston master with proper stroke. It will not work with a SC master cylinder,which is near a 0.900" piston.

Also a tr6060 has a different length input shaft than a t56.
And depending on the location of the new motor the placement of the shifter is anyone's guess. If identical to a 3.8 the mt82 and tr6060 both put the shifter behind the factory location

Any sources to all these statements? The mustang slave needs to be matched to a 3/4 piston master with proper stroke. It will not work with a SC master cylinder,which is near a 0.900" piston.

Also a tr6060 has a different length input shaft than a t56.
And depending on the location of the new motor the placement of the shifter is anyone's guess. If identical to a 3.8 the mt82 and tr6060 both put the shifter behind the factory location

Several people have swapped a TR-3650 out of an 05+ Mustang into the MN12 chassis behind a 4.6L engine, and have used the stock mustang slave/throwout bearing with the stock SC master cylinder and pedal, and a custom line connecting the 2. Since the slave is the same part in all 05-11 Mustangs regardless of which engine, it stands to reason that the slave would work just the same inside the bell housing of a TR-6060 as it would inside the bell of the 05+ TR-3650.

The driveshaft is completely different between the T56 and TR-6060, not only due to length, but also because the 05+ Mustang uses a driveshaft that is flanged at both ends and has the slip yoke built into it. Swapping a TR-6060, or a TR-3650, or an MT-82 will all require a custom made driveshaft.

As for the shifter location, these same TR-3650 swaps have landed the shifter right in the center of the hole in the stock auto trans shifter. Once again, since the shifter location relative to the bell housing is the same on an 07 Shelby (with the TR-6060) as it is in an 07 GT (with the TR-3650), it stands to reason that the TR-6060 shifter will land in the correct location as well. This all assumes that the engine is in the stock location, and since this is a coyote swap into a 95 Cougar, and since coyotes and mod motors have the same motor mount location, I am assuming he is running stock 94-97 MN12 4.6 motor mounts, and as such, the motor would be located in the same location as a 4.6. If he custom fabbed mounts for some reason, then all shifter location bets are off.

Here is a thread from TCCoA of when Ian AKA Black_Cat did the swap on his car.
http://forums.tccoa.com/959-stick-transmission-swaps/135601-95-xr7-tr-3650-swap.html

I also know that smokeymance and mechman1984 on TCCoA are running 05+ TR-3650 swaps using the stock SC master and the stock Mustang slave, and I believe there are a few more out there as well, but I can't remember who is r

To get that T56 to work, you will have to cut the shifter hole larger, and build the extension just like guys do with the T45 swaps.

TR6060 (or the little brother 05+ T3650)is the way to go in the MN-12/FN-10 chassis. The input shaft is the same as T56 (as long as both transmissions are from a Mustang ;)).

Here's a 5.0 mated to the TR-6060.

20150513_141929.jpg

The shifter comes up exactly where is needs to. While this is in FN-10, the floor opening and the 4 black bolts are exactly in the same location in the MN-12.

IMG_20140711_170027.jpg

Finally, the SC master cylinder works excellent with the S197 slave cylinders. Been running it this way for years in multiple swaps.

20151216_151700.jpg

I used an Mgw shifter and made an extension out of aluminum but my t56 is an lt1 which is a little longer than the Mustang tranny.

If you look at the billed piece and how it attaches to the shifter with th Mgw you can make a custom piece that comes off the shifter like I did to fit your specific application. I will also try to post a link of my build thread.

Attachments

• 20150316_151020.jpg
    20150316_151020.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 622
Supercharged 5.0L Coyote Crate Engine:eek:

Engine Specifications:
Displacement: 5.0L (302 c.i.d.)
Horsepower: 700 hp
Torque: 606 ft-lbs.
Compression: 9.5:1
Block: Ford Aluminum
Crankshaft: Forged