Car hesitant sometimes?

mitt1233

Hey guys. Been working on getting car back in shape and its running good now but every so often (usually on the highway) the car will buck and almost pause real quick and then its fine again. It doesn't ever stall but wondering what that could be. Maybe a tune up is needed? Its a 95 5 speed if that helps. Thanks. Mike.

It could be a momentary loss of ignition signal, or ignition power, or maybe a misfire.

Possible causes:
- Failing ignition switch (you may notice electrical items acting odd)
- Failing DIS module (this is usually like on-off - terrible running, then back to fine, until it totally fails)
- Misfire from spark plug gap getting too wide (this would show up under boost first)

And I am sure there are other things it could be as well.

Hey guys. Been working on getting car back in shape and its running good now but every so often (usually on the highway) the car will buck and almost pause real quick and then its fine again. It doesn't ever stall but wondering what that could be. Maybe a tune up is needed? Its a 95 5 speed if that helps. Thanks. Mike.

My 200K mile '93 auto is doing the same exact thing.
I replaced the balancer figuring that was it, and it didnt help. The balancer did have a little wobble to it, but it's still doing the same thing as before even with the new one on there.
I've about had it with my car. I'm tired of throwing parts at it only to have something else break in a couple of months.

My 200K mile '93 auto is doing the same exact thing.
I replaced the balancer figuring that was it, and it didnt help. The balancer did have a little wobble to it, but it's still doing the same thing as before even with the new one on there.
I've about had it with my car. I'm tired of throwing parts at it only to have something else break in a couple of months.

Check engine light comes on more often than not so I will check codes. Thanks for your input guys.

I wish my check engine light would come on, but it never does.
I'm going to change the crank position sensor, and if that doesnt fix it, I might have to start a fire. :mad:

You described my problem perfectly, runs great/ runs losy/ runs great/ runs lousy.... no rhyme or reason to it. Had the timing cover seal replaced since it was leaking oil onto the crank sensor, that didn't fix it.... Finally, decided to replace the DIS module. Voila! runs perfect! No more check engine lights, no more hesitation, no more running on 2 cylinders.... The weird part was even though the check engine light would come on and the gauges would go nuts, it didn't set a code.

For $71.00 it has been one of the cheapest fixes I have ever had!!!

Thanks again for all the help this forum gives! especially to us 'old' guys who are computer illiterate!!

Dr Lance

I havent yet. I had to order some wrenches to fit the crank position sensor, and they just arrived yesterday. I'm going to get it swapped out this weekend and hopefully that will fix it.

Back