Power steering pressure hose

james5275

Hello all,
Working on another project on my 90 aod, rerouting the power steering pressure hose and removing the 18 feet of junk from under the oil pan.

Again, I have done a ton of searching and here's the latest. Couldn't find any real good solid answers on this topic but definitely a lot of questions.

I believe our birds were graced with the least of common fittings, I believe they are called "type 3". Actually look pretty high tech, it appears the sealing surface is the small flare on the end. Odd why they have the Teflon seal past the threads, I'm going to see if it can seal without the Teflon. If it doesn't, then it's what's the point of having the flare?

See pic,
Left fitting is the oem "type 3"
Middle is a Russell 648060, I believe this is used on the v8 birds (amongst many other makes and models)
Right is a Russell 648060 that I tried installing into the bird. Definitely won't work.

I'll check my stock of aircraft AN fittings for compatability with the oem fitting on the left. Good news is the opposite end retains an o ring, I hope the threads are US straight and not metric.

Still working on my abs motor thread, will keep everyone posted on both of these.

JJ

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 763
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 507
You do know that all that extra length is supposedly there to function as added capacity and cooling, right? Are you also planning on adding a larger cooler, larger lines, etc. to compensate?

As for the length and possible reduced cooling, I decided to take my chances. I do plan to relocate the original cooler and see what happens. So far, I've only found 2 guys that have experimented. 1 had a dd with no problems, the other boiled the oil in autocross.

I'm thinking fittings in the pic in conjunction with the oem fitting might work.

JJ

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 331
I run mine quite hard without any hint of overheating the fluid, using a PTFE line that is, at most, a foot long from the pump to the rack.

There is a pretty thorough thread covering this topic over at TCCoA.

I re-routed not only the pressure hose, but also ran a direct return hose deleting the factory power steering cooler on my 90SC, and daily drove it like that for over a year, with 245s on the front tires, and never had any issues with the power steering fluid overheating. I also ran a similar setup on my lemons cougar, with 275s on the front, no power steering cooler to speak of, and beating the hell out of that car on a road course in the 100 degree heat for hours on end, and never had an issue with the power steering fluid on that car either. I can possibly see how you would need it on an autocross with wide front tires due to constantly sawing at the wheel, but for any kind of street car, you will be perfectly fine deleting that whole mess under there.

I run mine quite hard without any hint of overheating the fluid, using a PTFE line that is, at most, a foot long from the pump to the rack.

There is a pretty thorough thread covering this topic over at TCCoA.

I was just about to refer him to you, haha.

I think the extra bends may function as a vibration damper, actually, sort of like a water hammer loop in home construction. But that's a nicety, not a necessity. Anyway, if the hose used is a flex material, it probably doesn't need the extra length for the damping function.

Done!

Figured it all out!
Ended up shaving down the Russell fittings as described in the tccoa post. Added orings to each fitting, fabbed Mil spec hose to about 13". Pump end lightly rests on the lower ic tube, pretty sure I can get it completely clear with a small tweak. Shortened the return line and ran straight from rack to the pump, deleting the cooler. Drove around the block with no leaks. Will keep you updated this summer if I have any issues.

Thanks again for everyone's help,

JJ

Attachments

• IMG_20160112_183117.jpg
    IMG_20160112_183117.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 328
Back