PDA

View Full Version : Door/headlights chime issue on 90' SC

Roboplex
12-30-2015, 07:05 PM
So I just bought my first car, a 90' T-Bird SC. It's in the shop right now, just getting a few minor things done (Belt tensioner, new serpentine belt, inner tie rods, and a can of Freon for the AC). But I noticed that the door chime didn't go off, ever. I'm not sure if this model even has a door chime due to its age, or if the fuses are at fault or something. The seller did say that one of the fuses needed replacing, but I'm not sure if that's what's causing the issue. Also, the oil/fluids monitor above the stereo isn't functional. I'm not sure if that's due to the same issue. the Has anyone experienced this issue before? I'd love some help.

KMT
12-30-2015, 07:50 PM
They are both tied to fuse #12 in the box under the dash, driver's side. There should be a map on the lid, I think.

Still no joy...

The chime 'box' is behind the glove box w/the door dropped - squeeze the tabs on the outside back edges to get it to swing down.

As for the VMM in the dash, you can remove it by gently prying out using the two slots on either side...be careful to not ding the bezel or break the side retainers. Check to see if it's plugged in.

If you need to replace either, check the for sale forums here and/or post your own want to buy.

Roboplex
12-30-2015, 07:53 PM
They are both tied to fuse #12 in the box under the dash, driver's side. There should be a map inside the lid, I think.

Still no joy...

The chime 'box' is behind the glove box w/the door dropped - squeeze the tabs on the outside back edges to get it to swing down.

As for the VMM in the dash, you can remove it by gently prying out using the two slots on either side...be careful to not ding the bezel or break the side retainers. Check to see if it's plugged in.

If you need to replace either, check the for sale forums here and/or post your own want to buy.
Thanks! The owner said that the fuse broken is the one that controls the trunk release button in the glovebox. Is that the same one that controls the chime?

Tim Groth
12-30-2015, 08:13 PM
For what it is worth my '89 did this also and also continued to do so even when doors were shut, driving etc. Sounds just like what you described.

I had some electrical gremlins with this car which resulted in replacing the entire fuse box. Needless that had no resolve to the issue. I just ended up unplugging the chime...it was located under the passenger side of the dash. I am certain you could dig deeper into the problem with a wiring diagram, however with mine unplugged I have had no further issues.

Another thing to keep in mind, is with the age of the sensors some of the capacitors within the electronics cause things to happen also.

-Tim

dthompson
12-30-2015, 08:16 PM
the chime on my 89 is almost inaudible. are they available in the aftermarket, or do you have to get used ones?

Roboplex
12-30-2015, 08:45 PM
For what it is worth my '89 did this also and also continued to do so even when doors were shut, driving etc. Sounds just like what you described.

I had some electrical gremlins with this car which resulted in replacing the entire fuse box. Needless that had no resolve to the issue. I just ended up unplugging the chime...it was located under the passenger side of the dash. I am certain you could dig deeper into the problem with a wiring diagram, however with mine unplugged I have had no further issues.

Another thing to keep in mind, is with the age of the sensors some of the capacitors within the electronics cause things to happen also.

-Tim

Oh I'm not complaining that the chime is too loud, im irritated that it isn't working. I accidentally left the lights on dropping it off at the mechanic since I'm used to hearing the chime that they're on.

KMT
12-30-2015, 08:46 PM
Thanks! The owner said that the fuse broken is the one that controls the trunk release button in the glovebox. Is that the same one that controls the chime?

#1:

Deck lid solenoid
Right hand power window
Left hand power window
Moonroof motor

#12:

A/C clutch
Heated rear window switch
VMM
Engine coolant level sensor
EIC feed
EVO test
Steering sensor
Ride control mode switch
Ride control module
Ride control relay
Washer level sensor
Auto day/nite mirror
Parking brake illumination
Keyless entry illumination module
Daytime running lamps
Performance cluster ride control lamp

Note you can also pop the trunk via the keypad on the door, if your car is so equipped. After you press the number sequence to unlock the doors, hit the middle button/5 to unlock the trunk. Some alarm remotes can be configured to do the same.

I replaced my trunk lock cylinder with a camera and don't even carry a trunk key now.

Roboplex
12-30-2015, 08:47 PM
the chime on my 89 is almost inaudible. are they available in the aftermarket, or do you have to get used ones?

Not sure about that. Sounds can be deceiving, but you might be able to just grab one out of an old Taurus or something. From what I've heard, most old Ford chimes sound exactly the same. I can't say about the connectors, but they might be the same throughout.

Roboplex
12-30-2015, 09:01 PM
#1:

Deck lid solenoid
Right hand power window
Left hand power window
Moonroof motor

#12:

A/C clutch
Heated rear window switch
VMM
Engine coolant level sensor
EIC feed
EVO test
Steering sensor
Ride control mode switch
Ride control module
Ride control relay
Washer level sensor
Auto day/nite mirror
Parking brake illumination
Keyless entry illumination module
Daytime running lamps
Performance cluster ride control lamp

Note you can also pop the trunk via the keypad on the door, if your car is so equipped. After you press the number sequence to unlock the doors, hit the middle button/5 to unlock the trunk.

Oh I'm ok with the trunk, I've got a separate key for that and frankly, it's more convenient than trying to reach it in the glovebox. It would be nice to have, but it's not a huge priority at the moment. I know I sort of made it sound like a big issue before, I'm just a perfectionist xD. But pretty much every component in the list you provided is working perfectly. Is there a full list for all the components of the individual fuses anywhere that you could link? Thanks!

KMT
12-30-2015, 09:06 PM
Owner's manual, EVTM for that year car and this jpg:

Also the PCB lid under the hood:

S_Mazza
12-30-2015, 09:14 PM
Oh I'm not complaining that the chime is too loud, im irritated that it isn't working. I accidentally left the lights on dropping it off at the mechanic since I'm used to hearing the chime that they're on.

I don't think the 1990 is supposed to chime for the headlights on and the door open. Or if it is, mine has been broken for so long that I don't remember it. Now, for key in the ignition, there is a very nice, powerful, extremely annoying chime.

Actually, upon paying attention, I see that it does chime for having the headlights or the parking lights on with the door open. I guess I just tuned it out over time?

By the way, welcome to the forum. And congratulations on the new car! These are very nice machines. They are all pretty old now, and somewhat complex, so expect some maintenance cost and time. But, at least 90% of the parts are cheap. This forum (and TCCoA) have been huge helps to me over the years, along with a few other sites like 35thatr.

Roboplex
12-30-2015, 09:15 PM
Owner's manual, EVTM for that year car and this jpg:

Also the PCB lid under the hood:

Thanks so much! I'm sure this will come in handy!

Roboplex
12-30-2015, 09:30 PM
I don't think the 1990 is supposed to chime for the headlights on and the door open. Or if it is, mine has been broken for so long that I don't remember it. Now, for key in the ignition, there is a very nice, powerful, extremely annoying chime.

By the way, welcome to the forum. And congratulations on the new car! These are very nice machines. They are all pretty old now, and somewhat complex, so expect some maintenance cost and time. But, at least 90% of the parts are cheap. This forum (and TCCoA) have been huge helps to me over the years, along with a few other sites like 35thatr.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to the car, and to this forum. So far both have been amazing :). But my car doesn't chime, ever. Not in the ignition, not ever. I kinda hope it is able to be fixed though. I've always loved listening to the chimes in the cars my parents have owned xD. As a little secret, the GM "bong" sound has always been my personal favorite lol.

RalphP
12-31-2015, 01:00 AM
Oh I'm ok with the trunk, I've got a separate key for that and frankly, it's more convenient than trying to reach it in the glovebox. It would be nice to have, but it's not a huge priority at the moment. I know I sort of made it sound like a big issue before, I'm just a perfectionist xD. But pretty much every component in the list you provided is working perfectly. Is there a full list for all the components of the individual fuses anywhere that you could link? Thanks!

One thing to keep in mind - the trunk button only works if the motor is running (or at least in the RUN position).

And maybe if it's in park also - my old Malibu required transmission in park to pop.

Now, on my Cougar, if the trunk is open, you can hear it got "THUNNK!", but if the lid is closed, you don't. So I've got a bad wire in the harness that flexes when I shut the trunk.

RwP

90tbird4.7l
12-31-2015, 02:40 PM
could be a bad ignition switch/ ignition lock, my chime doesnt always turn off til i wiggle the key.

KMT
12-31-2015, 02:43 PM
could be a bad ignition switch/ ignition lock, my chime doesnt always turn off til i wiggle the key.

I think when he said "doesn't go off" he meant it doesn't work.

S_Mazza
12-31-2015, 03:35 PM
Thanks! I'm looking forward to the car, and to this forum. So far both have been amazing :). But my car doesn't chime, ever. Not in the ignition, not ever. I kinda hope it is able to be fixed though. I've always loved listening to the chimes in the cars my parents have owned xD. As a little secret, the GM "bong" sound has always been my personal favorite lol.

Now that I think about it, the chime / buzzer I meant is not for key in the ignition, but for key in the "RUN" position, but engine off. On my 1990, even if you have the door closed, if you leave the key in "RUN" but don't start the car, there is a piercing sound from the chime module.

My car is an auto - manual cars may be different; I don't know.

Roboplex
01-04-2016, 10:15 PM
One thing to keep in mind - the trunk button only works if the motor is running (or at least in the RUN position).

And maybe if it's in park also - my old Malibu required transmission in park to pop.

Now, on my Cougar, if the trunk is open, you can hear it got "THUNNK!", but if the lid is closed, you don't. So I've got a bad wire in the harness that flexes when I shut the trunk.

RwP

You were right! It only works when the car's power is on. Also, I took a look at the VMM. It was loose in its holster thing, and wasn't functional. I (stupidly) fiddled with the PCB while the power was on, it flickered a bit when I bumped a piece of metal, but then died. I haven't actually been able to fit it back into the dash, so it's just sitting in the glovebox at this point.

Roboplex
01-04-2016, 10:16 PM
As I listened, I found mine does the same thing. I'm not sure how to fix it, or even how to remove it from under the dash. I'd love to fix or replace the chime, but I'm not sure how either.

KMT
01-04-2016, 10:40 PM
I'm not sure how to fix it, or even how to remove it from under the dash. I'd love to fix or replace the chime, but I'm not sure how either.

Did you drop the glovebox as suggested and see if you can at least spot it?

Roboplex
01-04-2016, 11:27 PM
Did you drop the glovebox as suggested and see if you can at least spot it?

Oh yeah I found it. It's the black box to the right correct? When I wiggled the cable harness the volume increased very slightly. I didn't see any place to unscrew it from its little sheath, except from the back side which I can't really reach properly. Even then, I'm not even sure which type of screw it is because it's facing the other way.

KMT
01-05-2016, 12:19 AM
Oh yeah I found it. It's the black box to the right correct? When I wiggled the cable harness the volume increased very slightly. I didn't see any place to unscrew it from its little sheath, except from the back side which I can't really reach properly. Even then, I'm not even sure which type of screw it is because it's facing the other way.

If I recall correctly, there is a metal clip with a combo (?) 9/32" hex head/phillips screw that holds it to the glovebox frame on one end - the other end rests on a pin. Drop the glove box by squeezing the tabs on the sides so you can gain access. You can remove the harness/connector once you have the chime box free. You might want to get a replacement first so you can study the mount and test it on the harness.

Roboplex
01-05-2016, 10:52 AM
If I recall correctly, there is a metal clip with a combo (?) hex head phillips screw that holds it to the glovebox frame on one end - the other end slides into a recess on the chime box itself. If you can't get in there with a stubby driver/wrench from below, etc., see if you can work the box up and away without breaking the recess tabs and leave the metal clip in place. You might want to get a replacement first so you can study the mount and test it on the harness.

That's what I'm gonna do. Do you know which chime will work? Is it specific to the T-Bird? Or can I get any old Ford chime out of a 90s Taurus or something at a junkyard?

KMT
01-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Or can I get any old Ford chime out of a 90s Taurus or something at a junkyard?

I think they're common across models/years from that generation, so yes. Lots of 'birds ('89 ~ '95) in the yards, usually, so I don't think you'll have much trouble finding another one. Keep the receipt ;)

Also, there is a small wire/connector/tang at the ignition lock cylinder that helps to complete the circuit - might want to confirm it's health. You'll need to remove the two-piece plastic bezel at the steering column/dash. Three screws from below, then snaps apart..tilt the steering wheel to help puzzle them free. Make sure the wire isn't damaged, the metal tang/wiper is doing it's job and the connector is clean and snug.

TBirdJKC
01-05-2016, 11:21 AM

I had a similar issue with my 93. It ended up being caused by a combination of the ignition switch and the button switch in the drivers side door jam. It would chime until I wiggle the ignition around. The little spring contact sticks. If you pull the tumbler out, sometimes you can bend the contact up just a hair. That usually works for me for a year or so. The door jam switch has 2 circuits, one for the interior lights and one for the chime/security system (if equipped). When the switch failed, I noticed my chime was acting funny. About a month after, the interior lights would just turn on and off at random. That's when I realized the door jamb switch had also failed. I know its unlikely that both would act up at the same time, but its worth checking out.

P.S. I did not read the initial post well. I thought his chime was always on, not off.

My 90 had a really quiet chime too. Like it was muffeled by something.

TwoTimeSC
01-05-2016, 07:28 PM
Just a note for all.

The Chime Modules in these cars, and many other Ford Models of the same era, get quieter over time until they are barely audible.

This is caused by a foam ring in the module disintegtrating over time, eventually silencing it.
The foam ring actually supports a thin metal disc, which is what causes the chime sound.

I have successfully restored the one in my 35th car to full volume by cutting a replacement foam ring out of thin foam sheet.

If you take one apart (which is pretty easy to do) you will see what I'm talking about.
The foam eventually disintegrates into a gooey substance that can no longer support the metal disc.

Sorry, I didn't take any photos when I rebuilt mine.

Eventually, they ALL fail due to both time and temperature.

As a matter of fact, the same exact thing happens to the foam surround ring that supports the cone of the factory sub-woofer speaker.
They all eventually fail to due to the same cause.

SuperCoupeDave
01-07-2016, 04:41 PM

Same here. The chime in my 89 SC you can hardly hear it.

Roboplex
01-07-2016, 10:47 PM
Well I fixed it! Just replaced the foam in the chime with some old thin foam from a package I had. It now works perfectly. Just a quick question, is it supposed to always have a constant beep when the car's power is on, but not the engine? Otherwise it's perfect, just wondering if this is a normal thing. Thanks! :)

dthompson
01-07-2016, 10:49 PM
what kind of foam did you guys use?

S_Mazza
01-08-2016, 12:16 AM
Well I fixed it! Just replaced the foam in the chime with some old thin foam from a package I had. It now works perfectly. Just a quick question, is it supposed to always have a constant beep when the car's power is on, but not the engine? Otherwise it's perfect, just wondering if this is a normal thing. Thanks! :)

It's normal. That's the annoying sound I was mentioning earlier.

Glad you got it fixed!

Roboplex
01-08-2016, 09:44 AM
It's normal. That's the annoying sound I was mentioning earlier.

Glad you got it fixed!
Thanks for all the help! I think the annoying sound is kinda worth it since I've been leaving my lights on, and accidentally locked my keys in the car xD.

FrankenBird
01-08-2016, 11:54 AM
i had the chime issues and lights staying on also..i fixed it by ducttaping a piece of cardboard where the door pushes in that tiny black button when it closes..if the hinges are shot like 90% of thuinderbird doors are, sometimes it wont depress that button all the way..its ablack tab with a flat top on it..with ur door open push it in and see if its stop. if so theres how to fix ur issue..