Brake problem

Supercharged90

I'm having a brake issue. My pedal goes clear to the floor. The e brake works. The previous owner said he recently bleed the back brakes. Any ideas? I'm gonna end up going to a mustang swap, but would like to drive it a bit before then. Any help is appreciated. Thanks again

What year is it?

Any ABS/Brake lights on?

What is the fluid level in the master cylinder?

Did the brakes work at all after they were bled?

For the pedal to go right to the floor, it has to be either very low on fluid, or the MC is shot. The motor and pump aren't needed for the front brakes to work. They just provide the assist. But the pedal should be hard if those are inoperative.

I'd have them bled again, but this time be sure the key is on and the ABS pump motor is running. Don't let it run for long, tho. Give it a chance to cool down if you do this several times in a row. Watch the fluid in the reservoir to avoid sucking air and making the job that much harder, etc.

See this link on ABS for that year SC: http://www.sccoia.org/articles/anti-lock-braking-system/

But as S_Mazza pointed out, flat to the floor may point to a larger/different issue.

With a little further thought, I guess that the pump and motor could also be bad, but wouldn't be the sole cause of this problem. To properly bleed the rear brakes, the pump and motor need to be running. If they were not running, no fluid would be pushed into the rear lines. So if someone opened the rear bleeders in that state, all the fluid in the lines would run out, but no replacement fluid would be pushed in. If the rear lines are empty, that could possibly factor in to your problem.

It would be helpful to know if the pump and motor run when you turn the key on. And if you open a rear bleeder, can you tell if there is fluid in the rear lines?

With a little further thought, I guess that the pump and motor could also be bad, but wouldn't be the sole cause of this problem.

Last month, I fired up my Anny and waited in vain for the ABS lights to go out. Pedal went way down and braking was minimal and the first thing I thought of was the pump. I jumper'd to confirm the pump was ok, and eventually traced it to the high pressure switch on the master cylinder and it's associated relay and replaced both. I suspect a failed relay alone would cause the same symptoms.

Quick question. The pump just pressurizes the accumulator in case of a hard braking event that would require activation of the abs correct? So the warning to depressurize the system that is imprinted on the brake fluid resevoir is just for servicing the actual pump and accumulator itself, not for routine service to the brakes?
Not trying to hijack just curious. I would obviously refer to the service manual before doing anywork, im just trying to understand the system better.

Quick question. The pump just pressurizes the accumulator in case of a hard braking event that would require activation of the abs correct?

Not just for hard braking, the accumulator provides consistent/reliable high pressure without the pump being constantly engaged. The pump isn't designed for constant use.

So the warning to depressurize the system that is imprinted on the brake fluid resevoir is just for servicing the actual pump and accumulator itself, not for routine service to the brakes?
Not trying to hijack just curious. I would obviously refer to the service manual before doing anywork, im just trying to understand the system better.

In the case of servicing the system downstream, at the calipers, there is no need to depressurize as those systems are isolated from each other when ABS is offline.

Back