Do the Upper control arms have to be replaced with the ball joints???

sizemoremk

They look fixed permanantly to me, but the autozone site says that I can buy them for 50 bucks... and they weigh 5 pounds....must inclue htem right?

I also want to know which brands, if any, are suggested... are there polyurethane ones?

Last edited:
upper ball joints

THe front upper ball joint are in one peace! there about $70 a side @ autozone...

Jerry V.

not a fun job bro.driver side is easier,pass. side has the a/c in the way. got mine at napa for 55 bucks ea. lifetime warranty.
good luck.
joe

Napa says they want 71 each and 98 each for the lifetime warranty modes?????WTF

Autozone wanted 58 and 61 for them and were lifetime warranty parts...the "Mckay Norris" brand....

What say ya'll????

O'Reillys about 4 days ago...

uppers: 59.95
lowers: 59.95
lowers, ball joint only: 42.50

'bird

The arms actually have TRW stamped on them...lifetime warranty, there are also clear balljoints w/o grease fittins.

These OK???

Thats what I have on mine. They don't need grease if there's no way for the grease to get out. And as long the seals don't crack, the grease should stay in. I think they're fine.

If you do lowers, don't do just the ball joints (replace the whole arm). You'll hate yourself.

And do yourself a favor if you take off the lower control arm and replace the strut rod bushings at the same time since they are a pain to do later..

[edited for clarity]

Last edited:
Hey All...

Can I ask this...

Set aside the cost of ball joints.. (suspension Parts) and could someone tell me what the best product is on the market?..

As I said earlier.. I heard it was Moog... do you agree?..

even though they may or may not cost more.. what is the best product on the market?..

Thanks..

XR7 Dave
Would be cool to see all your cars on a web page... you got lots of pictures of those cars or not?... Sorry that was off topic...
feel free to e-mail me Dave... kvan@charter.net

XR7 Dave said:
If you do lowers, don't do just the ball joints. You'll hate yourself. And do yourself a favor and replace thestrut rod bushings at the same time since they are a pain to do later..

Can you describe these "strut rod bushings" for me...I've replaced some other bshings before, but can't remember what they're called...

The lowers look fine to me, and there seems to be no movement in the joint...

I got one of the uppers off righ now, there's a bit of play in that one...

For that matter, can someone post a picture that has these things labeled, I even have problems identifying some of these parts in the books...

Last edited:
I've gotten all my suspension parts from www.rockauto.com They sell Moog parts and other brands if you prefer.

When I worked for NTW back in the old days (10 years ago) it was the held opinion of all the mechanics and the company as a whole that Moog was the best.

I don't know that it makes THAT much difference. I look for greasable joints as being important. Lifetime warranty or not, parts will wear out, and the number one cause of worn out parts is lack of lubrication.

The Moog strut rod bushings are polyurethane, which I think is good. The bushings that go in the lower control arm are about $10 for the pair for both sides and the front strut rod bushing is about $35 I think. By strut rod I mean the rod that goes from the lower control arm to the front K-member.

I don't have a website yet, but it's something I need to do! I do have a bunch of digital pictures on this hardrive somewhere.....

post em up man! I don't know anything about front ends... I have to remember what it looks liek when I go and make sure I'm asking for the right thing...

Back