PDA

View Full Version : Lower Control Arms

black V8
01-20-2016, 08:02 PM
Well the ball joints are squeeking like crazy on one of my Birds so was looking at replacing them. Was gonna do just the ball joints but in checking around found that Crappy Tire can supply me with the whole control arm with ball joint for $50.99. That's apparently a sale price good until tomorrow, reg price about $70. They tell me they are Moog are greasable and have a 3 yr warranty. I've never seen a Moog that cheap so I ordered 2 spares. Just thought I'd give a heads up in case anyone is in need.
Cheers Tom

XB-70
01-21-2016, 10:01 AM
Well the ball joints are squeeking like crazy on one of my Birds so was looking at replacing them. Was gonna do just the ball joints but in checking around found that Crappy Tire can supply me with the whole control arm with ball joint for $50.99. That's apparently a sale price good until tomorrow, reg price about $70. They tell me they are Moog are greasable and have a 3 yr warranty. I've never seen a Moog that cheap so I ordered 2 spares. Just thought I'd give a heads up in case anyone is in need.
Cheers Tom

Tom, I recently had this problem with new none grease fittin lower ball joints. Since they were new I opted to drill a zert fitting hole in the bottom cap of the ball joint. Self tapped the fitting in and greased it. No noise since then even in frigid weather. Saved a ton of labor and an alignment. Good luck.

Glenn

black V8
01-21-2016, 01:51 PM
Thanks Glen, I may give that a try. I think these may be the originals. I have 4 MN 12s and these were a good price so I ordered 4. God knows how much longer we will be able to get parts for these. I know SCP has lower control arms but the Canadian dollar being what it is we get killed with cross border shopping.
Cheers Tom

black V8
01-24-2016, 11:02 PM
Picked up my parts on Saturday and the right control arm was as advertised, grease fitting and a quality looking part. The lefts were still labelled Moog on the box but made in China and non greaseable and not quite as nice a casting. Guy told me these are all labelled as discontinued . Oh well, at least they were'nt expensive.
Tom

fturner
02-23-2016, 12:45 PM
The original tie rod ends for the SC did not have zerk fittings and had a teflon bushing inside of them, which was an upgrade from the tie rod arms that the regular tbirds had which were greasable. The teflon ones are the better ones but unfortantely are VERY hard to find, if at all.

For safety sake, if you have to drill a hole and put a zerk fitting on to great a ball joint, replace it... don't take a chance as obviously the ball joint is warn out and could pop out causing an accident.

Fraser

Peterdroy66
04-05-2016, 05:23 PM
Got my "new" bird from BC
It is really decent and very neatly rust free.
However, guy replaced all parts in front end last year.
Still clean parts, upper and lower ball joints totally shot.
I'm happy as the rest of the car is very tidy.
This does raise my eyebrows of concern about likely many other cars on the road around us with ------- unsafe cheap chinese parts!

Typical China syndrone I call it

KMT
04-05-2016, 07:11 PM
unsafe cheap chinese parts!

Are you sure they didn't come out of India, Vietnam, Mexico or Canada?

black V8
04-06-2016, 10:18 PM
What's your beef with Canada dude? Higher standard of living than the States, better health care, safer. No rich unqualified A holes vying to run the country. Oh nix the last one, we do have Trudeau but he's not obviously insane, did notice his hands were a little small though.

KMT
04-06-2016, 10:22 PM
What's your beef with Canada dude?

I luv canucks - never met one I didn't enjoy making fun of ;)

BTW, Moog parts are 'made' in 16 countries, including Canada...
http://www.aftermarketsuspensionparts.com/blog/where-are-moog-parts-made/

black V8
04-06-2016, 11:00 PM
No worries bro, don't know anything about the parts origin of the parts on Petes new car but you can almost smell a Chinese made car part a mile away. How is it they can pump out intricate iPhones by the millions, but thier steering and suspension components look like they were made in a yak dung forge?

KMT
04-06-2016, 11:35 PM
No worries bro, don't know anything about the parts origin of the parts on Petes new car but you can almost smell a Chinese made car part a mile away. How is it they can pump out intricate iPhones by the millions, but thier steering and suspension components look like they were made in a yak dung forge?

Other countries only get away with what the parent manufs. are willing to accept. I've set up and run factory lines all around Asia, and it's not easy to just tell someone to 'do it right'. Like anything new, it takes time for the subtleties and related concepts to take hold.

I remember when the Koreans I worked with gave up trying to run LCD factories in Mexico, and had much better luck in China, as an example. Of course they mostly relied on the local Korean communities for labor. I had to train a Chinese team to manuf. probes incased in medical silicone for lasik surgery - the existing US manuf. we used as a model had a 50% yield while the Chinese hit 85% first try - certainly an isolated example. I've seen low end shops in southern China that you wouldn't want to be anywhere near, just for your health - brutal conditions.

Apple tried to set up in India and finally had to give that up. Audi took 4 years in China before they had the quality where they wanted it. These days, low cost labor is in Vietnam and Indonesia...still Mexico... so factories have generally moved there. Some are coming back to the US, but only if the bottom line can make it work (and investors don't get nervous). 'made in' labels can be misleading, when some parts come from different locales and are 'assembled' in another, and boxed/kitted in yet another. US says for a car to say 'made in US', it only needs to be a percentage made there. Mustang is 65% made in the US, as an example.

It's all about prices, tho, so as long as the demand is there, the pipe will pass whatever quality is on one end, out the other. China, India, Mexico etc. - they're all where Japan used to be when my parents wouldn't let me buy cheap Japanese toys. It will take time to gain control over the processes that are new to them, and to build a generation of experienced engineers and managers, but in the mean time, us consumers around the world still want our stuff, I guess.