Wrong IC fan for DIC? wont fit?

Spencer

Hey everyone, I just got my KW DIC and went to install it tonight, but I tried and tried, and I think the fan is too thick (I know its going to be a tight fit but this is not possible). I got the fan from spinning wheels, and it is a perma cool 8 incher. It looks different from the others Ive seen since the motor sticks out on this one and doesnt allow for the fan to even slide over the threaded holes on the shroud. Any suggestions? I'm assuming I have to get a thinner one like a 19128 off of summit?
rsz_1rsz_a3krwyy_-_imgur.jpg

Last edited:
siliconeintakes sells a 7" that may have a thinner profile: http://www.siliconeintakes.com/electric-radiator-cooling-fans/intercooler-fans-p-1024.html

I can measure mine tomorrow if it matters.

Ken

Only problem with that is I need it to bolt up to the shroud. I wonder if its a similar cage just different motor, which I'm almost positive is the problem since this style sticks out. But yeah I would appreciate that, Ill measure the one I have tomorow, Its at our shop.

Had the same issue. I took the fan apart and mounted the motor on the inside of the cage. It was tight and required some shimming so the blades didn't hit the intercooler.

This really is an issue and I think KW should be making his customers aware of this because it is not a direct fit. It's supposed to work with the 8" perma cool and it doesn't. With out doctoring it hits the power steering pump.

Had the same issue. I took the fan apart and mounted the motor on the inside of the cage. It was tight and required some shimming so the blades didn't hit the intercooler.

This really is an issue and I think KW should be making his customers aware of this because it is not a direct fit. It's supposed to work with the 8" perma cool and it doesn't. With out doctoring it hits the power steering pump.

The extra core to make a double i/c is added to the front of the core not the back so Ken's double i/c has nothing to do with the fitment of a fan. If the double i/c dimensions were changed on the side closest to the motor your stock i/c tubes wouldn't bolt right up. I think that the dimensions of the fan have either changed or you brought the wrong one, just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
The lower tube has a boss that bolts to the engine. It basely supports the IC. If the bolt is loosened and readjusted, I believe it affects the clearance to a small degree. I have now built about 70 double ICs, most with shrouds. Only a few have had problems with it not dropping into place. Some have said it is a tight fit. If the fans have increased thickness wise than I will have to drop the shroud as an option.

Ken

I measured the perma cool fan I have here that I have used for years as a fitment fan. It is 23/8" thick. If as Ken has said his measures 23/4" thick then the fan manufacturer has increased the thickness of the fan. I will likely not offer building a shroud on these in the future

Ken

I measured the perma cool fan I have here that I have used for years as a fitment fan. It is 23/8" thick. If as Ken has said his measures 23/4" thick then the fan manufacturer has increased the thickness of the fan. I will likely not offer building a shroud on these in the future

Ken

The DIC is a beautiful piece and the shroud is really well done. It is obviously the preferred option. I think we need to find an alternative that matches the original fan dimensions more closely. When they upped the capacity of the fan they must have made it thicker. If the current fan was direct mounted with out the shroud it would have enough space.

dic with fan

I had this problem a few months ago on my 94 sc auto. u can get a 7inch fan.like kmt told me, or do some mods to get u clearance. .........what I did.. cut down my 8 inch fan mounts (just below the loops. take the 4 other mounting tabs a use them as an anchor to the fan , get 4 (1 inch self tapping screws to hold the fan on to the dic (so it won't move and is secure) remove the /bend back the rad suppot enough to get the dic in, remove shroud. it will be tight getting it in but u will have less than a 1/4 in clearance. loosed both upper n lower ic tubes. it will take a few hrs (2) but with a warm place to work and taking ur time it will fit. if u have custom piping with couplers they give u more room. im using the factory ic piping so as u tighten up the tubes the fan come really close but enough room to spin freely while it on. i'll post pics of mine ( asoon a I can dig mine out of the @#$%^&*( snow.

The DIC went in fine as expected, I think I have the wrong fan, I ordered one that looks thinner, If that doesnt fix it I will go another route, thanks guys.

I had the same issue and a very simple fix is to follow the instructions given by BUDXR7 for the 8" Perma cool fan. Remove the fan blade and then unscrew the fan motor from the cage. Re-insert the fan motor on the inside of the cage and screw back in place. Re-attach the fan blade(one nut and washer).
On mine a trimmed the shroud on the DIC a bit to clearance the fan blades as they will now sit just a bit into the shroud.
Install the DIC as before and you will have plenty of clearance between the fan and the power steering pump.

I had the same issue and a very simple fix is to follow the instructions given by BUDXR7 for the 8" Perma cool fan. Remove the fan blade and then unscrew the fan motor from the cage. Re-insert the fan motor on the inside of the cage and screw back in place. Re-attach the fan blade(one nut and washer).
On mine a trimmed the shroud on the DIC a bit to clearance the fan blades as they will now sit just a bit into the shroud.
Install the DIC as before and you will have plenty of clearance between the fan and the power steering pump.

Plenty of room.
20160126_181112_resized.jpg

Even though the pictures are different, I got the same fan that I had before so I decided to try to make one of them fit, I used the suggestion by bud and mounted to motor on the inside of the cage but had to trim a decent amount around the premade hole for the shroud, sounds like the fan is just too thick now ken.

Even though the pictures are different, I got the same fan that I had before so I decided to try to make one of them fit, I used the suggestion by bud and mounted to motor on the inside of the cage but had to trim a decent amount around the premade hole for the shroud, sounds like the fan is just too thick now ken.

I don't think I will offer a shroud option in the future unless specificly asked for. The fans being thicker now just create problems for clearance that I didn't anticipate.

Ken

Back