Oil pressure sender mod not working

sizemoremk

Hey guys, I have followed the directions for swapping to a real oil pressure sender and cheating the resister behind the instrument panel and the gauge will not register pressure.
http://www.sccoa.com/articles/oilgauge.html

I have tried two different senders and neither have worked.
The sensor I tried looks liek the one here, with the funny terminal post on it.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/wells-vehicle-electronics-oil-pressure-switch-ps60/10202317-P#

When I turn the key on without starting, the gauge pegs and stays there. When I start it, it goes to zero.

The car has several thousands of miles with the messed up gauge, so I am pretty sure it has some oil pressure ;)

Does anyone know what kind of connector is suppose to attach to that post?
I am suspecting that I may have ruined the sensors by soldering the wire directly onto that post. I tried being particularly careful not to overheat the sensor on the second attempt, but it seemed like I had to get it pretty dang hot to get the solder to stick to the post... Thinking maybe I need to try another sensor and use the correct terminal to connect it.

Anyone else have any problems doing the swap?

Thanks!

Our cars come from the factory with an Oil Pressure Switch..You need an Oil Pressure Sender if you want your gauge to read actual pressure..

You can see the difference between an Oil Pressure Switch vs Oil Pressure Sender in this pic:
Oil%20Pressure%20Switch%20vs%20Oil%20Pressure%20Sender_zpsqc8ea3sm.jpg

The link you provided shows a picture of an Oil Pressure Switch..

As long as you use an Oil Pressure Sender that is 1/4" NPT on the end that threads into the block I don't see a problem with which one you use..

Rayo..

I second Rayo.

What you're getting is what the switch does.

Try a honest-to-$DEITY pressure sending unit, and see how it changes.

RwP

Thanks guys, that was it. The S334 in the link got it done. I used the ps60 because the article mentioned that being one of the options.

I believe the ps60 is also a variable sender vs a switch, it seemed to vary resistance with my air compressor... must have been a different range.

Thanks fellas!

Back