power antenna weight reduction

dthompson

My power antenna does not work properly and i found a bunch of options for how to repair it when i searched the forums. I was wondering if anyone has deleted the motorized portion and just mounted a fixed version antenna. I will never run my car through the car wash, so I am not worried about that. Did any of the LX cars come with fixed antennas that could easily be swapped over?

You can easily swap your power antenna for a fixed antenna from any 89-97 MN12..

There is an extra plug in the harness that goes through the firewall to provide power to the "power antenna"..

Just leave that part of it unplugged since you won't be supplying power to anything..
I would wrap it up in electrical tape to prevent any water from entering that plug though..

The fixed antenna mounts the same way the power antenna does..
It uses a steel bracket that attaches to the lower door hinge with a bolt, and a U-Nut..

Remove the nut holding the top part of the antenna to the stanchion, and the bolt holding it to the lower door hinge..

I used an Antenna Nut Socket when I removed mine..

For 89-97 MN12's with an antenna that uses a 3 prong socket..You need LISLE Part #29810 (Socket#1)

For 89-97 MN12's with an antenna that uses a 4 prong socket..You need LISLE Part #29820 (Socket #2)

AntennaNutSockets_zpse6eb0357.jpg

There's other ways of removing the Antenna Bezel Nut..I just prefer using the right tool for the job.. ;)

Rayo..

Be prepared to find that the power antenna really doesn't weigh much at all. ;)

yes im learning that nothing weighs as much as you would like it to weigh. I set a goal to drop 100lbs this year. im about 25 lbs short (in the planning stages currently). Im trying to keep the interior looking complete and trying not to hack stuff up.

Curious to know what you've already removed?

-Tim

At the 2015 shootout the car weighed 3761 lbs with approximately 16 gallons of fuel. I estimate with 5 gallons of fuel, the car would weigh 3691 lbs. So, my goal was to reduce the weight by 100 lbs this year to get it under 3600 lbs without compromising a whole lot of stuff. I dont want to hack up the car, I prefer to just remove stuff so it can be replaced at a later date if desired. The car is a street car, so I dont really want to cut up the bumper bar or any interior metal, safety first ;)

I really have not done a whole lot so far. The biggest changes are swapping the teves 2 out for vacuum brake system and removing all the harnesses, relays, computers, and actuators for the ABS and ARC. Ive removed the sub, factory amp, jbl factory speakers and radio harness going to the back of the car. However, i added an aftermarket amp, new modern jbl speakers, and wiring, so thats a wash except the sub. I added some weight for the cobra brakes up front as well. Nothing major for weight savings in the engine bay except the ProM 80 plastic MAF. The FMIC is probably as heavy as the old stock IC. MP 3.5 intake and hot air divider is probably heavier than stock. I deleted the EGR stuff and the washer fluid reservoir. Wheels and tires are probably heavier than stock, 18x9 saleen speedstars with Nitto 555 245 45 18 up front and nitto nt05 275 40 18s out back.

Here are the plans that I have and weight change estimates...

20 manual seat track conversion (I have both driver and pass side already)
5? Cruise control delete
1 remove plate under steering column
22 Aluminum LCA conversion w/perches
1.5 brackets for sub?
2.75 dead pedal
3 fog lights
2 glove box door
7 rear seat belts
3 power antenna swap
2? tray for computers
5.75 rear seat braces

At the 2015 shootout the car weighed 3761 lbs with approximately 16 gallons of fuel. I estimate with 5 gallons of fuel, the car would weigh 3691 lbs. So, my goal was to reduce the weight by 100 lbs this year to get it under 3600 lbs without compromising a whole lot of stuff.

Assuming we're talking about the stock fuel tank and that you run something better than a street tire, I'd advise against heading to the track with only five gallons in the tank. It's a quick way to draw air instead of fuel.

Assuming we're talking about the stock fuel tank and that you run something better than a street tire, I'd advise against heading to the track with only five gallons in the tank. It's a quick way to draw air instead of fuel.

I ran with 16 gallons last time on the ET streets. however my day was cut short by crappy suretrac axles. I only got to make 1 pass. Now i have some stock ford axles. I really didnt know what was appropriate for fuel level, maybe half a tank? 9-10 gallons?

What does your battery weigh now?

As for the antenna, I seem to recall Dave N. preferring it in place and extended on his trips down the track...can't remember if he was relying on physics and/or voodoo, but I'm sure it was good for at least a tenth ;)

Back