Optima Battery question

plethaus

I need a new battery for my car and was thinking about getting an Optima Red Top, but apparently you need some kind of bracket to mount it in the stock tray? The Optima site says this: "Requires 2 bottom snap-in adapters, check hood clearance." Anyone know which is the appropriate Optima battery p/n for SCs and where these adapters can be gotten?

Optima red top batteries are not a good battery for our cars. They are a starting battery and will run dead quit easily when they sit for short periods of time. If you really want an optima buy a yellow top or a blue top with the deep cycle function.

If you're looking for recommendations... The stock spec Motorcraft in my Anny was going on 7 years old and got to where it didn't want to hold a charge so I went looking for new - ended up with an AutoZone Duralast Gold 65-DLG $134.99 (800CCA/1000CA; 150 mins. reserve; warranty is 3 yr replace + 2 yr prorate ) - they even have a $20 gift card rebate on right now, thru Mar. 7

Weighs a ton....45 lbs., actually.

http://www.autozone.com/1/products/146048-battery-65-dlg-duralast-gold-65-dlg.html

I used to buy all my batteries at costco, their kirkland brand. They had an awesome warranty 36 months replace and 100 month prorated. Now they went to interstate :(and dropped the prorate and just offer 48 month replacement.

As of last Friday I stayed with Ford.

Last battery lasted 66 mth.

Went thru receipts from previous owner and low and behold original purchase was there. (June 30th, 2010)

Receipt in hand, 3 yr. 100 mth prorated warranty got me a $95.00 battery with the same warranty.

Paul

I need a new battery for my car and was thinking about getting an Optima Red Top, but apparently you need some kind of bracket to mount it in the stock tray? The Optima site says this: "Requires 2 bottom snap-in adapters, check hood clearance." Anyone know which is the appropriate Optima battery p/n for SCs and where these adapters can be gotten?

This thread has a few options.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthr...wn-options&highlight=optima+battery+hold+down

On my 91 SC with Optima red top I'm using the little billet chunk of aluminum (that Kurt K. posted) that replaces the wedge on the stock hold down. Looks real clean, but stock hold down bolt is used and it's a little fragile.

Optima hold down.jpg

Optima hold down 2.jpg

On my 93 SC with Optima yellow top I'm using more of a universal bracket I bought in the classifieds from Thomas Aden. It's like a universal hold down that uses a pair of threaded rods with a J formed on one end and wing nut on the other. Requires drilling a couple holes in the plastic tray to put the J end of the rods through.

IMG_5438.jpg

David

PS: Optima batteries work fine so long as you keep them on a battery tender when not driven for more than a few days.

Last edited:
My 93s original yes ORIGINAL battery started getting weak in 2008!
Since I have replaced it 3 times lol last being an optima red top I won
at Carlisle. It sits around alot and so far so good with the red top.

Battery

I won't buy anything but an Optima any longer............they work for me.........I use the Red tops.

Back