Power steering drained fluid while sitting?

superpoop

Hey guys. Just been informed the superpoop has lost all power steering. I topped the fluid up a few months ago and apparently the resovior is dry. The car is on grass and there are no signs of a leak. I'm away from the car at present. Are there any problem areas to look for?

Neill

If it emptied the reservoir while it wasn't running, then the leak is likely in the return side. Check starting at the rack, follow the hoses going to the power steering cooler, check the power steering cooler itself, and then follow the hoses from it back to the pump, and somewhere in there, or perhaps in multiple places, you will find your leak.

Nipple on the back of the pump is plastic and easy to crack. That stock spring loaded clamp on the return hose to reservoir connection is also known to leak.

David

Check the bellows on your inner tie rods..If they are full of fluid, the seals on your rack are shot..

Rayo..

Thanks for the advice guys.

I may sound dumb, but what's the evo? Does anyone have a diagram of how this is set up?

Neill

I just went home on my lunch break, thinking I would uncover the bird and fire it up for the first time this spring. Noticed a huge puddle of oil under the whole car. I checked the oil. Full. Tranny. Full. Couldn't imagine what it could be. Power steering was bone dry. Appears to have leaked out around the return nipple on the reservoir. Why would this have suddenly happened? Floor was dry about a month ago. I've never had PS leaks before.

I just went home on my lunch break, thinking I would uncover the bird and fire it up for the first time this spring. Noticed a huge puddle of oil under the whole car. I checked the oil. Full. Tranny. Full. Couldn't imagine what it could be. Power steering was bone dry. Appears to have leaked out around the return nipple on the reservoir. Why would this have suddenly happened? Floor was dry about a month ago. I've never had PS leaks before.

You've got a small plastic nipple on a 20+ year old plastic reservoir that's been subject to all sorts of temperature swings b/c of its proximity to the engine and the overall temp in the environment.
It lived a good life. Now it's dead.

Farewell, Sweet Prince.
Time for another one.
-g

Back