Advice on installing a BHJ

1bad67cat

I don't have access to a balancer installer. Am I good, with just using the bolt to press the balancer on?

Good morning

Do not use the harmonic balancer bolt to "drawing - in" the BHJ. Assuming you have a new BHJ balancer the inside diameter must be milled to accepted the specific outside diameter of the the crankshaft snout. Because of the tight fit press unit, "drawing - in" procedure will increase the chance of ruining the crankshaft snout threads and or not seating the balancer. Striking it with a hammer will damage it also. Try Auto Zone, O'reilly, and or Advance Auto for the installation tool to purchase or rent.

Good Luck.

I didn't have to have mine milled, it fit directly from the box, however I did go to autozone and rent the installer kit.

Also you will need shorter bolts for the crank pulley, I believe they are 20 mm instead of stock 25 but I could be remembering poorly, m8x1.25

Autozone rents an installer. That's what I used. Once I got most of the way on I went the extra 1/8" with the bolt. Car's been running great ever since. Sam Jones knows his stuff - do whatever he says.

Mine should fit fine. Brand new from SCP. Going on a 90. Advance, NAPA, and O'Reilly are the ones closest to me. I'll have to check tomorrow if they rent them out.

Usually the most that is needed is a light hone to the balancer ID to get the proper interference fit, but most people don't do all the measuring that is required and just install them straight out of the box. Definitely use the installer and a new crank bolt, and check your crank pulley bolt lengths before installing, because some balancers need shorter bolts.

David

Back