Clogged/ stuck injector

james5275

Hello all,
Working on my 90, just replaced the injectors with a set that was flow checked and cleaned. Turns out one of them is dead. The injector coil shows resistance so I believe the electrical side is good. Of course she ran just fine on the original injectors, they were just too small. Is there anything I can do besides remove the injector and back purge?

When testing for a pulse at the connector, does the ecm switch power or ground?

Thanks,
JJ

If I'm reading the schematic correctly,
The 30A eec fuse supplies power through the ircm, then on to wire #361, which supplies constant 12v to the injectors. Just verifying I'm checking them properly. Engine will run, just minus 1 cylinder.

Ugh, 1 step ahead, 2 steps back.......

JJ

if by chance they are 42lb injectors i have 2 spares, you could have them for free...i was saving them encase one of mine ~~~~ out but i pla n on selling the car soooo i have no use for em.

Thanks for the generous offer Frank, Im up to 36lb from the stock 30lb. No tuning or any other adjustments yet. I would think she should half way run, maybe a little rich . 100% confirmed just the 1 injector is stuck .

Got the injectors back out, I assumed the injector was stuck closed because the engine didn't respond to pulling the connector, turns out the pintle is stuck open. Googled tricks to free it, but no luck. Any other suggestions besides returning the set?

Thanks,
JJ

When were they flowed/checked? I've heard from my injector service not to let them sit...they can stick.

If it's been a while, I'd send the remaining 5, plus 2 (one for spare should another one fail during the check), back out.

It's either that or you start shopping for new - and if you do just one, then every time the engine stumbles or starts hard you'll wonder if you should have bitten the bullet and bought all new, etc. I now they're a pain to keep swapping, but unless you have evidence they've _all_ been qualified/cleaned at the same time recently and/or you buy all new, you're risking pouring labor into a task that might keep nickel/dime'ing you as you go.

Thanks for the input everyone, ended up buying a NOS set from SCP, engine is back to life. Returned the 1 bad injector to seller for warranty. Apparently they were recently done, seems odd that the 1 was stuck open. Wasn't just partially, it was full open. Spring loaded closed so someone wasn't doing their job.

Thanks again,
JJ

Back