instrument cluster question

Cobra_Bird

Does anyone know if an IC from an 04 Cobra/SVT would "plug and play" in a 94-95 bird? I love the layout of the gauges and the look. My next question would be where can I find a white face upgrade/replacement for my cluster?
I can pick up a cluster for an '04 off the net for a big chunk of cash but nonrefundable. I'm assuming there'd be issues with the odometer for sure?
Any input would be greatly appreciated. I've grown weary searching the old interweb.

I don't know about the Cobra/SVT gauges, but I'd bet not, since the cluster itself is different. (The gauges may swap within the cluster, though.)

As to the white face, it's amazing what pops up on Ebay and Amazon ...

RwP

At the very least you will have issues with the tach, being its from a V8 car. I'm not sure if they can easily be recalibrated to pick up on the V6 pulse setup. It may be easier to pull the needle and tach motor from our mn-12 cluster and put it in the cobra cluster.

You may have speedo issues too. I'm not sure about the Cobra but the 04 GT has an exciter ring and pickup in the diff that sends speed signals for both the ABS and speedo, instead of the vss our mn-12's have. You should probably research that and confirm the signals are the same.

As killer as it would be, thats a ton of work. Our old school cluster is 99% analog control. Even the electronic connections are made on a 'ribbon' connector. I'm sure it was ahead of it's time in the 90's.

Most 2000+ vehicles now have a sealed cluster, integrating several pc boards that act with the bcm, pcm, abs, you name it ..... they tend to be complicated.

I could be wrong, but willing to bet better odds would be with a cluster from an obd1 car.

Thanx guys. Just think they look wicked cool. As far as white face replacement goes, I have read old threads over the Web making reference to "Scott's White Face" & being "custom". I just can'tfind anywhere to purchase/order some custom made. One post was about some flamed ones & another was some with the Thunderbird logo.
Anyone have a clue?

Back