windshield wiper adjustment

Either the bushings are going, or the arms are just put too low on the shafts.

I'd pull the arms off, key them a spline or two clockwise (as you're looking down at them from the front of the car), and see if that fixes it.

OTOH, the bushings are available from Dorman ... and it may be a good idea to rebuild that transmission! (The wiper transmission, not the one behind the motor, natch!)

RwP

yes they can be, when the car is off and the wipers are at their lowest point ,pull them off and reinstall them abit more counter clockwise pr towards the passengers side..

From the factory, the wipers are keyed to one location on the splined shafts. Check that your wipers still have the small plastic keys...if they've been lost/removed, the wipers may have been reinstalled incorrectly.

If you want to re-index the wipers on the splines, you'll need to remove the plastic keys first. I've tried re-indexing on my Anny, and the stock location, with the keys, is the only one I was able to live with. I ended up finding another set of wiper arms instead. Don't ask me how my original set got out of whack...maybe pushing snow sometime in it's past is all I can figure.

Last edited:
Just a word to the wise also. When you remove the arms, the plastic keys will tend to fall off if they are still on there! I hate losing things like that, even though they are not absolutely needed. I may have to look into that wiper transmission rebuild myself also, good information.

chris

I have a 91 Thunderbird/Cougar Car Shop Manual. The only thing it says about Windshield Wiper Adjustment is ( Arm and Blade Assembly ) Align keyway on pivot shaft to wiper arm and install arm and blade assembly on pivot shaft. Wiper arms are self locating therefore no adjustments are required. Must be a internal problem of some sort.

Either the bushings are going, or the arms are just put too low on the shafts.

I'd pull the arms off, key them a spline or two clockwise (as you're looking down at them from the front of the car), and see if that fixes it.

OTOH, the bushings are available from Dorman ... and it may be a good idea to rebuild that transmission! (The wiper transmission, not the one behind the motor, natch!)

RwP
Hey Ralph.. are these in the normal dorman help section at Oreillys or AZone? Do you know a part #

Back