Overheating while at 60 mph

boggzboyz

What would cause overheating issues to come and go cruising at 60 mph I got up to 210 on a short trip running the car very easy and it stayed there for about 5 miles until I pulled off and as it idled it cooled down it only does this every couple months and I drive it several times a week any input is welcome!

maby air in the cooling system?? try purging it.....id actually do a cooling system flush and see what comes out and then you atleast know that its clean, maby a new thermostat too...

• Plugged cats
  • Low ratio of water vs. anti-freeze leading to the center of the radiator freezing solid at speed in cold weather
  • Debris blocking radiator
  • Radiator side shields MIA so that incoming air is bypassing
  • Missing lower air dam - removes negative zone at rear of engine, defeating proper hot air evacuation under car at speed
  • Belt slip on water pump pulley
  • Worn out vanes on water pump
  • Water pump seal/bearings worn out, allowing air to be sucked in past seal when large negative pressure built up inside pump at speed
  • Loose/corroded connector on water temp sender causing erratic readings
  • Bad radiator cap
  • Leaking heater core
  • cracked head/failing head gasket
  • ...any combo of above

Be sure that the overflow tube isn't blocked into the overflow tank. Check if the upper radiator hose gets extremely tight when running and/or collapses/flattens when cold overnight.

Last edited:
  • Plugged cats
  • Low ratio of water vs. anti-freeze leading to the center of the radiator freezing solid at speed in cold weather
  • Debris blocking radiator
  • Radiator side shields MIA so that incoming air is bypassing
  • Missing lower air dam - removes negative zone at rear of engine, defeating proper hot air evacuation under car at speed
  • Belt slip on water pump pulley
  • Worn out vanes on water pump
  • Water pump seal/bearings worn out, allowing air to be sucked in past seal when large negative pressure built up inside pump at speed
  • Loose/corroded connector on water temp sender causing erratic readings
  • Bad radiator cap
  • Leaking heater core
  • cracked head/failing head gasket
  • ...any combo of above

Be sure that the overflow tube isn't blocked into the overflow tank. Check if the upper radiator hose gets extremely tight when running and/or collapses/flattens when cold overnight.
all that he listed are perfect things to look for. if it was me i would start with ensuring the coolant system was full. check for any leaks. check the oil and coolant to ensure neither are crossing over. check all sensor connections. check the ohms from the sensor to ensure its still within operating range. purge air using that little bolt next to the goose neck. then remove the thermostat and test it. check the radiator for clog's. check the water pump. pm me if all that checks out good.

Back