Headers

The engine offerings for a '90 Mustang began with the 2.3L and ended with the 5.0L, neither of which even have the correct number of cylinders to fit your XR7.

You can get a 3.8l v6 in a 1990 mustang will long tube headers for that year mustang work on a 1990 xr7

That is not correct. The 3.8L was offered in the Mustang for the '82-86 and '94-04 MY's ('04 was actually a 3.9L, if you want to be particular).

Regardless, Mustang header fitment is known to be different from the MN12.

Possibly. If it was a 1990 model, it didn't come from the factory with a 3.8L. I can tell you that much. But don't take my word for it. Check Wikipedia, RockAuto, American Muscle, Edmunds...

I run a pair of Kooks 1-3/4" primary, 3" collector 3/4 length headers with 4V flanges...but that would be another case of one too many primary tubes per side for your V6 (I run a blown/stroked 4V Mod motor in my XR7).

Some people run Mustang headers on MN12s with some clearancing, like heat & dent or cut, turn, & weld, but I think that only works for shorty headers. I think long tube header fitment would just be too different between the two. But I haven't tried it myself. Long tube headers have been available for MN12s in the past, from Kooks, but they are expensive.

Back