PDA

View Full Version : How to remove front license holder? '89 SC

daveh
04-02-2016, 11:19 AM
I took my '89 SC to DMV yesterday, got the registration going, had to go get a smog test. Strangely the first testing place I took it to wouldn’t even touch the car, he said he’d had too many problems with them in the past. The second place had no issues at all, the car passed. I went back to DMV and got my registration and plates. So it now California legal.

I do have one question. The front license plate holder didn’t have the correct screws for the license, I see it is only held on by two press in studs near the top, there are no other attachments to the bumper, and by feeling under it, I could tell that it has the proper embossed SC. How can I remove that holder without damaging the bumper or the holder?

And does anyone make some plugs I could put in the holes to temporarily fill them just in case I’m forced to put the license back on the front?

MadMikeyL
04-02-2016, 01:03 PM
It should be held on by 3 plastic rivets, one underneath and 2 behind the plate itself. You will have to drill the rivets out to remove it.

daveh
04-04-2016, 12:25 AM
I'll give that a try. You have a suggested drill size?

MadMikeyL
04-04-2016, 03:45 AM
Probably around 1/4". No need to drill all the way through though, just drill enough to get the head of the rivet off.