Bearing size for belt idler pulleys?

daveh

All three idler pulleys are making more noise than they should. I'd like to keep the car as stock as possible, so I'd like to just replace the bearings.

Anyone know the size/model number for those?

Also what's the best source for the serpentine belts?
Are they still available from Ford? If not what's the best quality replacement?

The idlers suffer both bearing and surface wear over time. I don't think there is much point in just replacing the bearing.

New ones (plastic or metal), complete, and belts, are readily available via most auto parts stores, etc. Just be sure to confirm diameter. Suggest Dayco or Goodyear for belt brand. Shop warranty vs, price.

Last edited:
The car only has 13,500 miles on it now. The bearings are making noise from not being used much over the last 27 years. The surface of the pulleys looks fine.

The plastic pulleys have a retainer lip on both sides of the bearings, as pulley was molded around the bearing.

The car only has 13,500 miles on it now. The bearings are making noise from not being used much over the last 27 years. The surface of the pulleys looks fine.

You could remove the bearing, size it and try to source it, but a complete idler, that looks just like the original, being readily available, would be much less work, I think.

Hum, a lip on both sides makes sense. Which precludes replacing just the bearing.

76mm diam. Appears to be 34mm wide.
Is the smaller wheel 70mm diam.
The middle belt is narrower, is that idler the same width?

Anyone have part numbers for the plastic idlers.
I'm trying to keep this SC as close to stock as I can.

Back