Plugged fuel injectors? How to unplug them?

Randall Burnett

SCCoA Member
My 90 SC has possible plugged injectors. Motor Has not ran in 4-5 years.
What's the best way to unplug them? Do I need to remove and soak in something or can I put something in fuel rail to open them up?
The car runs when sprayed with ether thru the supercharger. Fuel pressure is around 45.

Any info appreciated.
Thanks,
Randall

My 90 SC has possible plugged injectors. Motor Has not ran in 4-5 years.
What's the best way to unplug them?

Injector shops put them in jig so they can pressurize and power cycle them to do leak/flow tests to determine if they're worth cleaning. They use an ultrasonic bath with their house recipe, then put them in a jig that pressurizes and power cycles them while that fluid is run thru.

Not something the average owner would be set up to do at home without special tools*, I find it's just simpler to pack them up and send them out. Witchhunters has been a good service for me in the past. Might want to send 7, just in case.

http://www.witchhunter.com

Their site has lots of good info.

*Info on DIY here: http://www.fuelinjectorcleanerhq.com/fuel-injector-cleaning-how-to-clean-fuel-injectors/

If none of that sounds doable, I'd at least kit them with new caps and o-rings, baskets, then treat the fuel tank, cross my fingers and road-clean...

Last edited:
soak it in transmission fluid and use a 9v battery to open and close it while its in the trans fluid. it actually a very effect fuel injector cleaner and ive had great luck with it..also the injectors screen can be cleaned easily with the injector out...

Good evening

I recommend checking the fuel quality first. Take a small sample in a container. You can either disconnect the fuel rail or the fuel filter. If you see sediments and or the fuel is cloudy indicates contamination. Cleaning the injector alone without addressing this first would be a disaster. As KMT stated the professional route is the way to go. But I have had success with the 9 volt battery, Marvel Mystery Oil@, fuel injector connector and a pet feeding syringe "project". Plenty of You Tube videos on the subject. Make sure the fuel injector filter basket, O-ring and pintle caps are changed as mention earlier. I recommend in this case 2 bottles Berryman's Total Fuel System@ product. Strong stuff. Run the car. Don't forget to change the fuel filter afterwards.

Good Luck.

Back