dead short

94-5speed16

In my 94 Sc i recently realized that my brake lights weren't working. They don't do anything at all when i tap the brake, but they stay on when i turn my lights on. I checked my fuses inside the cab and the fuse for the brake lights was a little bit charcoal colored on the tips but not burnt out. I also have to take my fuse for the dome lights out because they'll stay on most of the time then turn off, i'm not sure if that is somehow connected or if it's the switch. But anyways, while i was troubleshooting what was wrong i looked at the fuses in the power distribution box, they looked fine except one which i noticed was a little discolored but didn't look burnt out. When i tried to pull it out by hand i couldn't get it out so i used some pliers to get it out. That's when it broke apart and came clear that the fuse melted at the bottom. I'm guessin since that burnt up the brake lights are now running off the running lights which can only be turned off and on. I'm taking it to a dealership tomarrow to have them fix it since i can't do it myself. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and found out where the problem was so i can possibly save myself some money by telling the dealership where the problem may be occuring at. If you have any information it'd be appreciated

dan

Obviously check the switch located on the brake pedal. Other than that, every time I've seen wierd brake light problems, it's been the Multi-Function switch in the steering column.

Back