Anyone modified stock suspension?

whatCupHolder

Hey folks,

I've finally retired the old girl ('93 5.0) to a weekend-car rather than my daily driver. My plan is to make it a fun, but not stupid, fast car.

I have a grand list of powertrain changes I'll be making, but I can't help but think that the stock suspension would cause me to float directly into the nearest tree. I almost have that problem now on your average back road.

Thinking about cutting 1/2 a coil off of my springs all the way around and swapping to poly bushings... that should stiffen it up nicely without a huge price tag. Anyone else done something similar, or have recommendations before I start chopping?

Hey folks,

I've finally retired the old girl ('93 5.0) to a weekend-car rather than my daily driver. My plan is to make it a fun, but not stupid, fast car.

I have a grand list of powertrain changes I'll be making, but I can't help but think that the stock suspension would cause me to float directly into the nearest tree. I almost have that problem now on your average back road.

Thinking about cutting 1/2 a coil off of my springs all the way around and swapping to poly bushings... that should stiffen it up nicely without a huge price tag. Anyone else done something similar, or have recommendations before I start chopping?

Do a search for Dave Dalke. He is selling the good bushings for the rear.

Ken

i tried cutting 1.5 off sport springs and the recoil was sooooooooo bad it wanted to throw me off the road when i hit a decent bump flying around a corner..i had 17;s with wider sport tires too...was a 97 jcode cat

Cutting one coil off the front and 3/4 of a coil off the rears gives a nice stance, good handling, and a not too stiff ride.

I have removed the front strut and redrilled a new mounting hole just above the original, there is enough room for clearance of the LCA if you drill it no more than about 1/8 " above the original mounting hole. If you do this it will retain the stock ride characteristics and give you about 1-1/4 inch drop which will work well with then removing the 3/4 coil from the rear.

I have removed the front strut and redrilled a new mounting hole just above the original, there is enough room for clearance of the LCA if you drill it no more than about 1/8 " above the original mounting hole. If you do this it will retain the stock ride characteristics and give you about 1-1/4 inch drop which will work well with then removing the 3/4 coil from the rear.

You drilled a new mounting hole for what, where? I'm having a hard time picturing what you're describing.

At the bottom of the strut where it mounts to the lower control arm ..... You will have to remove the strut assembly from the car, there are two holes in the bottom of the strut bracket where the bolt slides thru it and mounts to the lower control arm. Drill two holes above the original mounting holes but no leave no more space between the holes than 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch higher than the original holes and you will still have clearance between the bottom of the strut and the lower control arm.
If you would like I can take some photos and post it or pm me your email and I'll send them to you.

Last edited:
No, I understand now. At first I thought you were talking about drilling a new hole in the LCA, which seemed like a spectacularly bad idea.

I think I understand what your saying, but wouldn't that extend the coil down farther? If I picture it correctly your mounting the strut lower correct?

a photo would be nice, how neutral does it feel doing so ?

you got it... I'm just moving the mounting point of the strut lower which drops the car but retains the original ride properties .... it's not too difficult and is easier than removing and cutting a spring which will give you a little more float at highway speeds. send me your email address and I'll send you some photos.20160501_135254.jpg

Last edited:
i tried cutting 1.5 off sport springs and the recoil was sooooooooo bad it wanted to throw me off the road when i hit a decent bump flying around a corner..i had 17;s with wider sport tires too...was a 97 jcode cat

Sport springs? Factory or aftermarket? Mine is 100% stock chassis.

There is a stupid amount of math that goes into figuring out the characteristics of re-sizing (chopping) a coil, and I find that experience is the best teacher.

Cutting one coil off the front and 3/4 of a coil off the rears gives a nice stance, good handling, and a not too stiff ride.

Thanks MadMikeyL, I would have been hesitant to cut that much to start with. Any concerns with bottoming-out or scraping? The splash-guard on my front bumper is held on with zip-ties as it is :D

Back