Sunroof drains

Elsyiana

anyone have some pictures of the front drain locations or ideas on how to unplug them. ive tried weed whacker wire and compressed air nothing comes out the other end and the wire dead stops after around 3ft of wire

The fronts empty into the wheel wells - the rears empty in the gfx in front of the rear wheels.

Be careful w/compressed air...you don't want to blow the plastic tubes loose up inside the body.

SC_Moonroof inside02.jpgSC_Moonroof inside01.jpg

Last edited:
so they empty out inside the fender liner for the fronts? my rears are fine but if i park the car tilted forward its a swimming pool

If you turn the wheels left/right you should be able to just see the fronts - down low. You have to remove the gfx to see the rears.

If you get water into the cabin with the nose down, the rears aren't clear, I think.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?133402-Sunroof-drain-lines&highlight=moonroof+drains

I don't think the rears drain fast, so if you're testing with a hose, you might be flooding them before they can empty. Overflow should run up to the fronts (you can see the side channels in the images above), such as when braking or going downhill, and they should pick up some of the slack.

Last edited:
ok so ive taken the drivers wheel splash shield out and the bottom gfx and theres no hose sticking out anywhere that i can find guess i need to take the interior apart then to see where its at and why its clogged

the rears drain fine i can dump a 32oz cup in the track and it all comes out the back but if i pour it towards the front the tubes fill and it all just sits in there till it pours over the top

Front drains should exit under/behind the plastic fender liner, near the lower door hinge. Facing front.

Last edited:
so they empty out inside the fender liner for the fronts? my rears are fine but if i park the car tilted forward its a swimming pool

What you described sounds more like the issue caused by the vent under the passenger side wiper cowl....

-Tim

I took the Cowl off to fix thw washer nozzle ir sosnt rain in through the windows though it defintly cones from the sun roof car wash let me know anput the clogged sunroof while sitting in it

I took the plastic wheel well liner and padding out and still couldnt find a hole or hose just the wire harness for the hood and such. Theres a couple holes by the pinch rail underneath the car one kinda tear drop shaped one smaller round one but it was dark and about to rain so i didnt try to dig into those befor it rained gonna have to wait till it stops raining this weekend and go back out and try to figure out where the fronts go so i dont have to worry about the inside getting soaked if i happen to park the wrong way

The hose doesn't stick out the hole, it is short by about an inch, and it pours its water right into a mess of sound deadening foam inside the hinge pillar. The drain hole is on the underside of the rocker about 1" in right between the bottom 2 fender bolts.

With that being said, if you are getting a swimming pool in your passenger side floorboard, the problem isn't the sunroof drain. If sunroof drains clog, you get slight moisture coming in around the roof and a wet spot on the headliner at one of the corners. If your headliner is dry, your sunroof drains are fine. Your problem is the vent under the cowl panel on the passenger side. It is sealed in with a seam sealer that over time dries up and cracks, and when that happens, any water that goes down the windshield on the right side now has a direct path into the car. It is not something you will necessarily be able to see just by removing the cowl panels. Remove the vent piece, and re-seal it with either some RTV or new seam sealer, and it will solve your water leak.

thatnks for the description ill try and figure out why they are so stopped up its the drains though the front tubes are full of water even when it hasnt rained in days. i took the cowl off and put weather stripping in there when i bought it cause i had that issue with my cougar years ago but if your sitting in the car you take a shower if its raining hard enough and the nose is pointed down or you hit the brakes hard i thought it was the auto car wash and a 26year old sunroof seal but after trying to see if they drained with a cup of water the fronts do jack but the rears will gush water out the rockers

Back