Maybe interesting brake pad information

Mercutio

SCCoA Member
I've been researching brake pads for my SC, and one problem I've always had with the 93-97 rear calipers is that there are few performance pads available. At EBC's website, though, I see that the pads for these calilpers supposedly interchange with the 01-02 Viper GTS.

Here's a diagram of the EBC pad:

dp41164r-380-380.jpg

Now, I'm not really a fan of EBC pads, but if our pads interchange with the Viper, that's great news, because there are some good pads available for that car. However, other pad makers don't seem to agree on the pads interchanging. For example, here's a diagram of Hawk's Viper pad, which supposedly interchanges with DEW98 cars, but not MN12s:

HB428.gif

You can see that there seems to be a bit of extra backing material compared to the EBC pad. So I'm wondering if this pad can be modified slightly to fit the later MN12 rear calipers.

No, but EBC seems to think the same pad will work just fine for both cars, so I don't see piston size as a problem.

EBC seems to be the odd man out.

KVR, as an example, shows different pad part numbers for '01 & '02 Vipers, and a 3rd part number for the '93 ~ '97 SC, which is different for '96 ~ 97 based on which front disc diameter.

Last edited:
Seems like we should pick up a cheap set (if there is such a thing) of Viper pads and test fit away.

Tire Rack and eBay both have Viper pads for under $30. I can pick up a set and see what happens.

Back